Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am just starting out with Linux and have Knoppix 3.9 live CD. It boots on my machine just fine but fails to find my wireless card. I thought well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix and my LAN

I am just starting out with Linux and have Knoppix 3.9 live CD. It boots on my machine just fine but fails to find my wireless card. I thought well perhaps it doesn't like wireless and plugged my computer right into my router (I have verizon DSL and am running a linksys wireless system) and the system did not see the hardwire either. I thought OK perhaps I need to reboot the system with the computer attached but still no luck. I am guessing that I need to configure the LAN card somehow but can't find out where. My real desire is to have the wireless work but when I used autodetect it told me there was no card. Can someone point me in the right direction??? thanks!

What chipset does your wireless card use? What chipset does your LAN card use? Regular wired LAN is pretty standard these days so you really shouldn't have any trouble just plugging the system in, but then again do you have to dial in for your DSL? Does it just function like an "always-on" router?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Lan Problems

I do not know how to find the chip set but I am running on a Dell Inspiron with an integral wireless card. Does that help?

Try the lspci command. If you give us the exact model number of your Dell we might be able to find out what the chipset is.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants