Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
I am still very perplexed by the downloading problem My only guess is, have you been having some problems with other internet related activities (like regular surfing)? I somehow think ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I am still very perplexed by the downloading problem

My only guess is, have you been having some problems with other internet related activities (like regular surfing)? I somehow think the wireless aspect of this equation may be the problem.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Looks like a nice up to date box. Do you ever get freezes like what you are talking about with your browser while surfing the net or downloading email?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

kbk
    Yeah but it's more rare than when it happens with the downloads. Every once in awhile I will be online doing a few things and running GAIM and it will freeze.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Might just be your wireless adapter. It happens to me all the time on my laptop. As you know, different hardware will perform differently with different O.S.s. This might be what's causing the freezing when downloading. The way to find out for sure is to run a cable from your router to your box's NIC. If no problems downloading this way then I would think it's a wireless problem and not a problem in your computer or O.S..

kbk
    I can't do that though, otherwise I would have a direct cable connection down here. Would it matter then if I changed distro's, or will this problem persist?

If that is what's causing the download freezes, (and that's just my suspicion, it could be something else...) changing distro's likely won't make too much difference. You had support for your wireless g adapter with Knoppix "out of the box" or did you have to configure it yourself with ndiswrapper or something? What is the exact make and model of the adapter? Sounds like it's working well enough under normal circumstances. It may just be giving you problems in situations where you have high "traffic" going on.

kbk
    I had to use ndiswrapper. The make and model is: Linksys wireless G network adapter, WUSB54G v2 (I'm pretty sure, the version might not be 2).

kbk
    Now it freezes up when I am just on Gaim or just viewing certain web pages. It's a real drag.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5