Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
like this: Originally Posted by crashandburn Installing DSL on the hard disk is very simple. Right click the desktop, then Apps->Tools->Install to Hard Drive. It first asks the target partition. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by crashandburn
    Installing DSL on the hard disk is very simple. Right click the desktop, then Apps->Tools->Install to Hard Drive. It first asks the target partition. You counter with something like hda1. For some reason, it rejects /dev/hda1. Go figure.

Next it asks if you want the standard or enhanced install. The standard install if 50MB, and installs entirely off the CDRom. The Enhanced install pulls files off the Internet, requiring a working Internet connection. Also, the Enhanced Install takes quite a while if you have a dialup connection.

The standard install is sufficient for appliance type setups, or cursory web/email clients. You'll probably want the Enhanced install otherwise. Keep in mind though, no matter what install you perform, a broken cpp program prevents you from compiling a lot of apps.

Finally, it asks if you have a working Internet connection. Answer truthfully. If you chose an enhanced installation without a working network, the install will terminate after a while, telling you it will only do the standard install.

Once you answer about the Internet connection, it will ask you whether you're sure you want to install, thereby wiping out the partition. Make sure you are ready to wipe out the partition, and if so, answer yes.

The install program now takes many minutes (depending on processor and web connection) to complete its work, and then asks you if you'd like to run the boot installer. Say yes. Finally, it asks you if you'd like to reboot. Say yes.

When it reboots, you have a very simple machine. A few web clients, VI (a crippled Vim), several other apps. Enough for simple computer usage, but not what you'd call a real desktop machine.

Standard or enhanced, your installation does not have a functional apt-get or dpkg. You need those if you want to do anything more than browse the net and get email. To enable them, be sure your Internet connection is working and connected, then right click the desktop, then Apps->Tools->Enable Apt. The computer will take quite a bit of time downloading more stuff.

If you simply need an appliance, you can probably

asks some simple questions such as whether you want to do the extended install, and whether you have a working Internet connection.
    Now will you please tell me how to make it ask the user wether they want to boot windows or dsl (if you know)

During the installation did it say anything about "grub" or "lilo", or installing a bootloader to the MBR??

What is the result of,
    Code:
    ls -l /boot
    Do this from inside the new installation.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    yes, it did say stuff about lilo or grub. I chose lilo, since I didn't know the difference. It also said something about the bootloader but I don't know what it meant.
    Here's the outcome:
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 May 17  2004 /boot -> /KNOPPIX/boot

I dunno much about lilo since I use grub, but basically you need to configure lilo's configuration file to contain two operating systems, and to say that windows is in /dev/hda1 and DSL is in /dev/hdb1. I'm sorry I can't tell you any more, but googling on "lilo configuration" should give you lots of info.

Sorry I'm so dumb about lilo!! I'm sure others can help.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Just Joined!
    ok, what can you tell me about grub?

Grub has a configuration file, normally /boot/grub/menu.lst, that tells the bootloader which OS's are present and where they are. Here's mine
    Code:
    color white/blue black/light-gray
    default 1
    timeout 3
    gfxmenu (hd0,5)/boot/message

title SUSE LINUX 9.3
        kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 vga=0x342 selinux=0  splash=silent resume=/dev/hda5  showopts
        initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd

title Gentoo
        kernel (hd0,7)/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/ram0 splash=silent init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda8 udev
        initrd (hd0,7)/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2

title Gentoo -- No Network
        kernel (hd0,7)/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/ram0 splash=silent init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda8 udev softlevel=guinonetwork

title Gentoo -- No X11
        kernel (hd0,7)/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/ram0 splash=silent init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda8 udev softlevel=noX

title Windows
        root (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

title Floppy
        root (fd0)
        chainloader +1

title Failsafe -- SUSE LINUX 9.3
        kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noresume selinux=0 barrier=off nosmp noapic maxcpus=0  3
        initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd

title Memory Test
        kernel (hd0,5)/boot/memtest.bin
    This shows all the OS's on my system. SuSE9.3, Gentoo (many versions), and Windows (plus the opportunity to boot from floppy, boot a failsafe session, or perform a memory test).

You can also see that each entry has a small statement showing where the OS is. In the case of windows mine says that it is at (hd0,0) which is equivalent to the first partition of the first harddrive (grub counts from zero, not one.) Yours would be the same. Your DSL is at (hd1,0) -- i.e. the first partition of the second hard drive. Everything else in the entry are kernel booting parameters, but I guess these will already be written in the lilo configuration file.

"default 1" means boot the second entry by default, and "timeout" means wait 3 seconds before booting that default.

Your windows entry would look exacly the same as mine, but with the location changed to (hd1,0) as I said.

Just Joined!
    When I installed DSL; it automatically detected win95 on the harddisk. If yours doesn't you should check the lilo.conf file. It is in /etc

In the bottom of the document I think you should add something like:

other=/dev/[the harddisk partition Windows is on (mine is hda1)]
    label=[A name for your windows]

Also make sure that timeout is greater than 0. Timeout=150 means you've got 15 seconds to choose OS.

may also help typing "lilo" in a terminal.

Just Joined!
    When I installed DSL; it automatically detected win95 on the harddisk. If yours doesn't you should check the lilo.conf file. It is in /etc

In the bottom of the document I think you should add something like:

other=/dev/[the harddisk partition Windows is on (mine is hda1)]
    label=[A name for your windows]

Also make sure that timeout is greater than 0. Timeout=150 means you've got 15 seconds to choose OS.

It may also help typing "lilo" in a terminal.

Sorry I posted twice. Something went wrong with my Internet

try the dsl frugal grub install.

easy as pie. And a hell lotta fun after the install.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4