Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
err, I know this is my 3rd post in a row on this board but i really need this. Whenever I try installing dsl it gets to the part where ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trouble installing DSL

err, I know this is my 3rd post in a row on this board but i really need this. Whenever I try installing dsl it gets to the part where it askas me where to install it. I choose hda2 and then it just disappears as if I have closed it. Any help? ty.

Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar
    choose hda3

Just Joined!
    but i only have 2 hard drives

You have two hard drives or two partitions on one hard drive??

Can you tell us the output of,
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    nonono. I have 2 hard drives. 1 is NTFS and the other is (apparently) unformatted (I just found that out aout 5 mins ago. Last time I checked it was fat32). I dont know how to give you the output of that, sorry im really new to linux. I have also just found out that the hd i am using must be ext2 to install dsl.

In linux, the second harddrive is 'hdbX', where X is the partition. So, for instance, if you wanted to install DSL to the first partition on the second harddrive, you would install to 'hdb1'. 'hda1' is the first partition on the first hard drive, 'hda2' is the second partition on the first hard drive and so on.

This is if both of the drives are on the same IDE cable (hda is the first, hdb is the second). If you have another drive on the second IDE cable, it is probably 'hdc'.

Run smolloy's command in a command line and post the output.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    how can I get to a command line?

To open up a terminal, check for an icon with a computer (it should be something like Xterminal or Aterm). Or, you can right-click for a menu, then find an entry for terminals.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Javmaz
    how can I get to a command line?
    You're posting this in a knoppix forum, so I'll assume you're using knoppix. If memory serves theres a little icon near the bottom left of the screen that looks like a little computer screen. Click on this and it will open a window where you can enter commands. Type in the command I gave you and copy and paste the output here.
    If you can't find this icon, go to the "start" menu (it's not called that, but it's in the same place as the windows start menu), and find the option to "run command" or something like that. Type "xterm" in the prompt that appears, and a command-line window should appear.

Hope this helps.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Alright, Ill do that in a moment, but before I do, can anybody tell me how I can format my 2nd hd to ext2 in windows?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast