Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all! First let me say that i am so far REALLY enjoying my experience using Knoppix, as it is my first foray (sp?) into the world of Linux. Anyhoo, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Embarassingly Simple

Hello all!

First let me say that i am so far REALLY enjoying my experience using Knoppix, as it is my first foray (sp?) into the world of Linux.

Anyhoo, getting right to the chase, I am doing some disaster recovery on a winxp laptop (DOWN WITH MS!). I have an external HD plugged into the machine via USB. It was not seen at first, so i connected said HD into my functioning PC and formated it as NTFS. Now the Knoppix booted Laptop sees the drive just fine as SDA1. However, it simply refuses to let me write to that drive.

I have already tried to grant write permission to the drive by right clicking on the SDA1 logo, and selecting "actions > change read/write mode". I acklowledge that that is what i want to do... and i get:

"
    ERROR

The remount command failed. Maybe there is another process accessing the file system currently.
    "

I also tried following remounting from root, this also stumped me.

Also, i have noticed that i have the exact same problems with HDA1, which is the laptops internal drive.

Bollocks...

I am stumped, as i am completely new to Knoppix.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

i know there are problems writing to NTFS. Maybe try reformatting in Fat32 and try it again. it's much more user friendly.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Linux does not like writing to NTFS. I believe write support can be built into the kernel but it is very risk from what I have heard. This would explain why write support is usually not compiled into the kernel.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Linux does not like writing to NTFS. I believe write support can be built into the kernel but it is very risk from what I have heard. This would explain why write support is usually not compiled into the kernel.

Bryan
    Actually in Knoppix, read/write support is already included with the kernel. There is even an option to enable read/write support write from the kmenu.

Linux Newbie
    chm0dvii is correct re ntfs but see this for more - 3.1 and 3.2 answer your queries I think http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Using_FAQ
    Elive,kanotix-mini,pclinuxos super gamer,xp, sidux

Please check the last posting date of a thread before you argue a point that was true 2 years ago but isn't anymore. There's very little chance the original poster of the thread will notice, or care.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants