Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got knoppix to install once on the same computer, so this is very fustrating. When ever I try to install, I partiction the disks and I start the installsion. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix failed Install

I've got knoppix to install once on the same computer, so this is very fustrating. When ever I try to install, I partiction the disks and I start the installsion. At about 60% or so the install keeps spitting out these errors like:

cp: reading 'usr/share/local/ru/LC_MESSAGES/popt.mo' : Input/output error

Serveral pages of the same errors (but different files), go by and the installsion is complete. I reboot and the boot gives errors and X windows doesn't load. I know its not the CD. I guess its the hard drive. I think I partitcioned them right though. I made a primary swap (512mb) and a primary ext3 (5.12gb) /. Thanks for any help, I really want to have knoppix installed over any other distro.

If anybody can even diagnose the error for me or tell me what it means I'd be grateful.

Linux Enthusiast
    I know that you said you do not want any other distro instead of knoppix, but when I was going to install Knoppix I went to the channel for them ( in irc, irc.freenode.net, #knoppix) and they said, if you want an installable knoppix, use KANOTIX, it is supposedly a lot faster, and better, when installed to the hard drive

www.kanotix.com ( in the left there is an option to change it from german to english)

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I'll look into this and post back. The reason I reinstalled knoppix in the first place, was because konquerer took to long to load up. Maybe this will work better...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Kanotix is quite nice when installed to harddrive, and if it fails in a similar way to knoppix, you'll know that it's probably the harddrive.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the referrer. KANOTIX is indeed quite nice. The install went fine with no problems. I am now running KANOTIX on my laptop.