Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a laptop that has Windows XP running on it, but I lost the Admin password. I know there is a way to reset a linux admin password ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Getting passwords with Knoppix STD

Hi,
    I have a laptop that has Windows XP running on it, but I lost the Admin password. I know there is a way to reset a linux admin password using Knoppix STD and I also know that we can do the same thing with windows, but I dont know how I can do that. If anyone has tried doing this before, let me know.

P.S. The information that I have on my laptop is important and I do not want to lose any data, please be specific and carefull about the method u show me.

I am not sure that there is a way to do this without spending a lot of money.
    Winternals.com has ERD disk that has locksmith on it that will allow you to reset the password, but it costs $149.

What you could do is to use Knoppix to access your files, put them on a cd or usb stick.
    Then just reinstall windows.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ali_
    Hi,
    I have a laptop that has Windows XP running on it, but I lost the Admin password. I know there is a way to reset a linux admin password using Knoppix STD and I also know that we can do the same thing with windows, but I dont know how I can do that. If anyone has tried doing this before, let me know.

P.S. The information that I have on my laptop is important and I do not want to lose any data, please be specific and carefull about the method u show me.
    Use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. It comes on a bootdisk or boot CD, and allows you to change any passwords or registry entries on NTFS. Note that if you change your password this way, encrypted (EFS) files won't be accessible anymore because they were encrypted with the old password.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    For resetting WinXP passwords, I think you'll need to download and install "chntpw" to use a regular Knoppix CD, or you can go here and download knoppix-std, as it has chntpw included in the download:

http://www.knoppix-std.org/tools.html

Use a live cd and change the password file I did this once but not sure what file in knoppix to change maybe some one else here can help you with that.
    <advertising NOT allowed in signatures>