Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got a Generic SoftK56 internal modem. Can anyone tell me if this compatbile with Knoppix? Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hardware Detection

I've got a Generic SoftK56 internal modem. Can anyone tell me if this compatbile with Knoppix?
    Thanks

Google on "Soft56k Linux" revealed this.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Modem drivers

I found the drivers on a website called Linuxant. Is it possible to save the drivers on a USB Disk and install it from there (in Knoppix)?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainframe_caduceus
    I found the drivers on a website called Linuxant. Is it possible to save the drivers on a USB Disk and install it from there (in Knoppix)?
    Thanks
    Knoppix *should* recognize and mount your usb stick, so yes, it can be done that way. Do you know how to install the linuxant drivers? Do they give directions? I tried installing conexant (linuxant drivers) once years ago and failed. I hope their install, drivers and directions have improved.

Just Joined!

Which connection should you choose?

I've been trying to connect to the Internet using the PEP protocl but it doesn't work. I've entered all the details like username, password, provider name, etc but it simply goes to the dial- up message screen and nothing happens. Do I have to configure the drivers for the modem first? In the setup process it looked like DSL had already done that (when it asks you to choose which serial port the modem is on) and I chose the default option (S1), but it didn't work.
    Thanks

If the drivers for the modem aren't installed, it will not work. Look at their site about how to install them. Once they are, try again.

Just Joined!

How do you mount the USB Drive?

I think I've found the right drivers but I don't know how to get them to DSL. I've saved them on a USB Drive but I don't know how to mount it. Could you please tell me the commands that are used to do this?
    Thanks

First, look in /media and in /mnt to see if it is mounted already there. It may be sda1 or something similar. If not, DSL likely has it at /dev/sda1. Open a terminal, and as root go...
    Code:
    mkdir /media/usbstick
    This creates the directory 'usbstick' where we will mount /dev/sda1. Then...
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/usbstick
    Code:
    cd /media/usbstick
    Code:
    ls
    'ls' is to list what's in the directory. If your usb stick is at /dev/sda1, then you should see the downloaded driver with the ls command. To unmount the usbstick...
    Code:
    umount /media/usbstick
    Now that's umount, not unmount.

Just Joined!

Modem Drivers for DSL

I think I've got the wrong driver. Its filename says knoppix 4.0.2 and I'm using DSL. When I tried to mount the USB Drive it didn't work. I then tried to copy the driver from the hard drive to the ram disk but it kept saying 'file not taggged'.
    The floppy drive does automount but I don't know how to copy the driver to the ramdisk. Also, when the driver is copied, should it configure the modem automatically, or does that have to be done by the user?
    Thanks

Wink

The driver should be OK. DSL is a Knoppix derivative as are many other live cd distros.

You are wanting to install the driver for when you are booted into DSL as a live CD? Are you going to install DSL to HD? If you install the driver and get your modem working in DSL as a live CD you will have to re-install it every time you boot to DSL.

You should find your floppy at /mnt/floppy. The driver is on the floppy? As Root...
    Code:
    mount /mnt/floppy
    Code:
    cd /mnt/floppy
    Code:
    ls
    Is the driver listed there? Then you can run it if it is. Are you sure you can't be interested in an external serial modem?