Find the answer to your Linux question:
Today I was moving my /home partition to replace /dev/hda6's current mount point of /var/www. I was meaning to be in the /home directory to transfer all my files from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How Knoppix saved my life

Today I was moving my /home partition to replace /dev/hda6's current mount point of /var/www. I was meaning to be in the /home directory to transfer all my files from there to a temp directory. Little did I know I was at / !!!
    It went like this:

# mv --force * /tmp/home
    # ls /tmp/home
    ls: command not found
    #

At this point I was thinking oh sh*t. <insert 5 minutes more cursing here>

I had just realized what I did, and thought maybe i could execute /tmp/home/bin/sh or other
    NOTHING worked.

I am so glad I bought that issue of linux magazine with knoppix... otherwise I would have been reinstalling everything as I had no backup or recovering (which I was getting ready to do)

So I booted the knoppix dvd, mounted the partition containing /tmp and moved all files/dirs to their rightful place. Thank god it worked I had spent so many hours of grueling work customizing my system and had enough completed work I didnt want to lose.
    Moral of the story: always backup! And keep Knoppix closeby

Knoppix is my hero

lool

knoppix is nice to run on my laptop(wish I had it when i messed up windows)

Knoppix has always been nice to me. It has always saved my files from a virus or a crashing windows. I accually have a copy of Knoppix next to all of my computers. I am glad it was able to help you too.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

oz
    forum.guy
    Every Linux user should definitely have a couple Knoppix CDs on hand at all times. Windows users can benefit from Knoppix, too. I always keep several of the latest versions on hand.

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, I just screwed up on my first installation of Linux (ubuntu) installing it after the 1024 limit. So right now I'm running Knoppix waiting for answers here.At this point, I love ANY kind of Live CD to tell you the truth

I had to use knoppix live cd to delete file on my drive where it got over filled and no more space to boot up or do anything on it.
    <advertising NOT allowed in signatures>

Just Joined!
    for system recovery i reckon dsl is better because its a lot faster and simpler.

Before I learned about linux, I locked myself out of windows xp and had to reformat everything. Sucks because I had tons of music and movies on it, I should have just run a livecd like knoppix and deleted the program that locked me out of my own computer!