Find the answer to your Linux question:
** sry its win98 not 95. ** Ok. So i've got this old Texas Instruments laptop that i'm curious to see if it will run Knoppix. I've got SUSE10.0 running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

CD Boot in Win95

** sry its win98 not 95. **

Ok. So i've got this old Texas Instruments laptop that i'm curious to see if it will run Knoppix. I've got SUSE10.0 running on one of my PCs and Fedora Core 4 on another so i figured i might as well make my ancient word processor a linux also. I've enabled boot from CD in my bios setting but the laptop still boots from the HD or from the floppy drive. Is there something i might be able to type into MS Dos so that my PC would restart and boot from the knoppix 4.0.2 live cd?

oz
    forum.guy
    If you burned the CD yourself, it sounds like maybe a bad burn to the CD. You should be able to see multiple files on the CD. Are you sure you didn't just copy the ISO file to the CD? It has to be burned as an "image".

no the CD is fine. ran it on my SUSE 10.0 pc (dell dimension 5150) which is a p4, flat screen, 256 radeon vid card, yada yada yada, worked fine. ran it on my sister's laptop which is a dell inspiron 6000 worked fine. so i know the CD is fine. problem is i can't get windows to boot from my CD, and F12 has no effect on this electric typewriter. I edited the bios boot options so that boot from CD is enabled, but still won't work. that why i'm trying to find a dos command to re/boot from a CD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Don't know if it will help/work, but maybe try disabling ACPI in your BIOS if you have that option.

nope haven't got the option. well thanks for your help anyways. maybe i'll just format the HD and install a compact version of linux on the HD. the laptops HD is a whopping 1.5g lol. i wanna use it as a word processor.

oz
    forum.guy
    For some reason, laptops are always more finicky than desktop machines, especially when playing around with linux.

Good luck with it!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo
    ** sry its win98 not 95. **

Ok. So i've got this old Texas Instruments laptop that i'm curious to see if it will run Knoppix. I've got SUSE10.0 running on one of my PCs and Fedora Core 4 on another so i figured i might as well make my ancient word processor a linux also. I've enabled boot from CD in my bios setting but the laptop still boots from the HD or from the floppy drive. Is there something i might be able to type into MS Dos so that my PC would restart and boot from the knoppix 4.0.2 live cd?
    You could try making a boot floppy. As you've explained it I don't see much else as an option.

For after you get that working: It does sound like the computer is old enough that you may have to use an alternate GUI/window manager though. When you get ti to the boot prompt, type knoppix desktop=fluxbox (you can also use icewm if you like that better)

ok thanks i'll have a go at it.