Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've been looking through posts but nothing has helped so far. i've googled it as well but have found nothing. i'm trying to get one of my partitions (hda1) to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Read Write Access (So far nothing has worked)

i've been looking through posts but nothing has helped so far. i've googled it as well but have found nothing. i'm trying to get one of my partitions (hda1) to allow me to write to it. It's another linux partition that i've messed up... i cannot changed the root User Id and cannot write to any config files anymore. i am trying to change root's user id manually now by editing /etc/passwd, shadow and group. i am trying to use Knoppix to write to those files but i cannot gain write access to either my NFS partition or my Linux partition. i've changed the preferences in the Hard Drive options so that it isn't read only and i've changed the group settings with the same GUI. Nothign has worked. i will take any help i can get. Please give me ideas.

Thanks in advance

Have you tried using root from the command line? I know it sounds like a stupid question but just in case . I believe knoppix has no root password so you should be able to su into root from the command line.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Root...

Yep, i've used 'su' and tried to edit the file and i've also tried while not logged into root. Each time i try to save it says that it's a read-only.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    have you tried chrooting into the partition, i.e. try the following steps:
    mount hda1 somewhere
    become root
    then
    chroot /path_to_mounted_partition /bin/bash

now go about editing to your heart's content.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

No go...

It didn't work, it does exactly what it does when i'm trying to user root on Kubuntu. The console looks like this:
    I have no name!@Knoppix:/#
    And vi (my prefered text) gives me this error when i try to edit the file:
    E45: 'readonly' option is set (add ! to override)
    What command should i use when i save the file? Usually i just hold shift and hit the 'z' key twice.

I usually use:
    Code:
    !wq
    I don't know if that will make a difference but it might.

Second, what filesystem is the messed up partition? Third, how is it messed up?

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

No go either, i guess i'm going to have to reinstall

i tried "wq!" instead of "!wq" (it said command not found) and vi said that the file was not available to open. i guess i'll try irc quick before i reinstall.

Man, i've got to stop messing around with stuff. This is my second time reinstalling.

The reason things aren't working is because i changed the User ID of root. i'm trying to change it back manually. If you've got any ideas i'll check back here before i start over again. This means i'll have to download Phish again

Don't get discouraged. Tinkering with your system is part of the learning experience. I have reinstalled countless times because I have messed something up. With that said, I have learned more than I would if I hadn't tinkered with my system.

Bryan