Find the answer to your Linux question:
I read an article a while back in PC Mag I think that you could boot with Knoppix Live CD and use QTParted to do partioning on your existing drives. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

QTParted and Knoppix

I read an article a while back in PC Mag I think that you could boot with Knoppix Live CD and use QTParted to do partioning on your existing drives. I just got Knoppix Cd and was going to try it. I opened QTParted and when I clicked on my drive with windows on it it just said "gathering info on partions" and then the program just shut down and closed and nothing happened. does it everytime i try it. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Since Knoppix is a live CD and runs from memory, it *might* be having problems running with your hardware. What is your RAM?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I have 512 MB of ram. Athlon 1.7 GHZ a little over one year old. Dapper Dan, I see you are from South Carolina. So am I.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    512 should certainly be enough. Maybe it's a cdrom issue. I'm really out of ideas then because I also have 512 RAM and Knoppix, as well as most other live CDs I've tried, runs satisfactorily.

I'm in Abbeville. You?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I have two hard drives in this system, one I just added as a slave and am trying to prepare it for Xandros install. The first time I ran QTParted I clicked on my master drive( 100GB Seagate) to see if I could shrink a partition on it and then turn my attention to the second slave ( 10GB Maxtor) to wipe some stuff off of it and format it to FAT 32. The second time I ran it I clicked on the slave drive and it saw it and displayed the info about that drive with no problem. But if I try to click on the master drive, QT will just shut down. Is it trying to protect me from myself by refusing to even let me do anything with the main drive? I figured from the article I read that QT would let me resize partitions on any drive on my computer. I am a Linux noob an dthis is my first try with QTParted. I am in Florence. Thanks.