Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a buddy with WinXP Pro, PC will not boot safe mode, or any emergency disc that I can find. Downloaded 4.0 it works fine in my laptop WinXP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix 4.0/WinXP Pro/Cursor Freezes

I have a buddy with WinXP Pro, PC will not boot safe mode, or any emergency disc that I can find.

Downloaded 4.0 it works fine in my laptop WinXP Home. His will boot with the live cd in but then when I move to the HDD icon and click, everything freezes.

Any ideas

Brand new to this, and a lot of Google led me here.

Thanks
    Bob

Just Joined!

Sorry,

I think that your friend is OOL(out of luck) that sounds to me like his hd is doa, i dont think ive ever run into a situation where knoppix hasnt worked, so the only reasonable answer is that his hd is fried. if this is the case, move away from knoppix, and go to hd recovery. sometimes if your hd makes a noise or something not-normal try taking it out and freezing it. this sounds wierd, but ive seen it work, just put it in the freezer and leave it there for a while, then try it. you have nothing else to lose at this point so anything goes right? if it is vital to get the info back, try a data recovery website or something on that order, but this goes beyond Knoppix

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEBZ
    I think that your friend is OOL(out of luck) that sounds to me like his hd is doa, i dont think ive ever run into a situation where knoppix hasnt worked, so the only reasonable answer is that his hd is fried. if this is the case, move away from knoppix, and go to hd recovery. sometimes if your hd makes a noise or something not-normal try taking it out and freezing it. this sounds wierd, but ive seen it work, just put it in the freezer and leave it there for a while, then try it. you have nothing else to lose at this point so anything goes right? if it is vital to get the info back, try a data recovery website or something on that order, but this goes beyond Knoppix
    That is what I am thinking. I am going to pull it out of the laptop and put it in a USB 2.5" external enclosure and see if I can get anything off it with Easy Recovery Pro.
    Thanks
    Bob

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close