Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all I am new to this forum, and fairly new to linux. Ive looked through the questions and did a search, but cant find the answer to my question ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

writing to the boot disk?

Hello all
    I am new to this forum, and fairly new to linux. Ive looked through the questions and did a search, but cant find the answer to my question so here goes. I recently got a copy of knoppix 4.0.2 and am slowly learning to use it. Ive been able to rescue several crashed drives for myself and friends, it is a handy little tool. I read somewhere(wikipedia i think), that if it were burnt to an rw disk, that it was possible to write to the boot media. So i made a copy on a dvd-rw disk, from the original cd. Actually i made two, one closed session, and one open, not knowing if knoppix would write to a closed disk. Everything works , and im not having any problem writing to the other dvd-rw drive, floppy, or hard drive. But i cant figure out how to write to the boot drive, it keeps writing to the ramdisk. What am i doing wrong, is this even possible, or a misconception by someone. It sure would be handy for having notes, documentation, rescuing data ect. if it is possible. Anyone else tried this, or read anything about it.
    thanks
    unclebubbles

oz
    forum.guy
    First off, welcome to the Linux Forums... hope you have lots of fun here and visit often!

Don't know about how to go about doing that with Knoppix, but I just ran across this rescue cd that you might be able to do something like that with:

http://trinityhome.org/trk/

They recommend burning the iso to a cd-rw disk so that you can make changes, then it makes a new iso image.

Hope this helps...

oz
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks Oz, i followed the link and read up on it. Looks like an interesting tool also. Im going to download it at the library tomorrow and try it out. Im on dial up here, and it would take a week.lol Have you tried it yet? It says it has network cloning capabilities, and ntfs read/write. I wonder if you can clone from hdd to hdd? If it allows writing to the boot disk, maybe those files could be copied and incorporated into knoppix? The only thing i dont like about knoppix 4.0.2 so far , is that my el cheapo modems arent compatible, and it wont configure them. I read somewhere that there is a way, just have to do some more reading, or buy a linux compatible modem. Thanks for the help.
    unclebubbles

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebubbles
    Have you tried it yet?
    No, haven't tried it yet but probably will. I just ran across it today and it made me think of your thread here. It sounds like it does something like what your are looking for, but perhaps not exactly.

Yeah, I love Knoppix too, but don't know of any way to write directly to the bootable CD. That said, if it works with Trinity, maybe it's workable with Knoppix.

oz
    oz