Find the answer to your Linux question:
Should I be able to print from Knoppix booted by its CD? This for a standalone PC and simple deskjet on lpt1 I go to menu item \Knoppix and choose ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

booted CD, print setup?

Should I be able to print from Knoppix booted by its CD?

This for a standalone PC and simple deskjet on lpt1

I go to menu item \Knoppix and choose Configure printers. I only have use of CUPS for adding a 'proper' printer, the others, including generic Unix lpd/lpr, only allow a 'psuedo printer'. It lets me choose parallel port then lists the makes, I choose model and so gives some driver choices - foomatic -. Setting paper etc I finish.

If I open Kate, write some stuff, or a KDE help page choose File-print or even in a console direct something to the printer name or lpd - nothing happens. Well there are error msgs in the union-fs\var\logs under cups.

Obviously when the pc is booted from good old dos floppy or hard disk any op sys can print out.

allow the system to boot, with the printer pluged in and on.. knoppix will probably load all the settings needed for you to print.

otherwise.. im not too sure what your error means.

Just Joined!
    hi there.

The booting with djet plugged and on didn't make any difference. I do have another lpt printer which is plug n play and all that happens with it is when I go through the '\configure printers' menu and choose 'parallel lp0' the next dialog shows its name branched off the port - unlike the djet. I stll have to go on and choose it from the cups menu and then a driver, no auto setting. The same result though, no printing.

Just in case there's an assumption about usage. All I am doing is keying 'Enter' when the Knoppix cd first boots to show the 'boot: ' prompt. When the KDE gui is up I closed the multi-language window and went straight to the 'knoppix\configure\configure printers' on the start menu. I did nothing else

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close