Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just boot the computer and have knoppix but it can not connect to the internet while when in windows xp it works fine and i have a connection.I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix can not find my ethernet

I just boot the computer and have knoppix but it can not connect to the internet while when in windows xp it works fine and i have a connection.I have a dsl connection through a router and then connect direclty to two pc one wich is mine. I think that knoppix can not find my etheret card.There isn t any ip assigne to the computer while on knoppix.Do you know please how to fix that problem?i am sorry for my english

what does ifconfig return? (run it in the terminal as root).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Question i dont undestand yet;)

ok i did that(ifconfig) and the text coming out was:

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addrf:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0
    UP LOOBBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    Rx packets:36 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    Tx packets:36 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrirer:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    Rx bytes:2632(2.5Kib) Tx bytes:2632(2.5Kib)

I can not see where there is an error in that.i think that he can found all this numbers beacause my computer is connecting to a router and then to the internet .Maybe i suspect that i dont have any driver about my ethernet on linux.Do you know how i can found them and how can i instal them on Linux if that is the problem offcorse.Thank you for help me man .AH my etherent if i dont mistake is called NVIDIA nForce Networking ControllerI am a newbie in using all that stuff (LINUX INTERNET) but i will like to learn and i am trying very hard

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down i did some reasearch

I did some more research and i found the drivers that i need to instal on linux from NVidia.But it doesnt want to instal them because my knoppix is a older version or the drivers.Now the question is the drivers the problem or knoppix?Maybe linux can not find my ethernet card because i boot it from a cd i have not instal knoppix only run it from the cd.i am really lost in all that stuf i really dont know what to think about and how to fix that problem.Shall i instal for real an other version of linux? or shall i leave it like this and necev enter the internet from linux

try executing this command as root:
    Code:
    modprobe forcedeth
    it will load the open source driver for nForce cards. Which version of Knoppix are you using and which version of nFroce mobo do you have? For me Knoppix detects the wired card on boot using Knoppix 3.9 and 4.0 the mobos I have are nForce and nForce4.

once the modprobe is done, execute the ifconfig command again, if modprobe worked, you'll see an entry for eth0. Now just configure the card either using Knoppix's built in tools or execute these commands:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 address enter_staatic_ip_address
    dhcpcd eth0 <--- do only if you want to use a dhcp server

Just Joined!

Unhappy I think that it didnt work

i open the command shell and i type su and i became root.Then i type modbdope forcedeth and the following appeard

/lyb/modules/2.4.27/Kernel/drivers/net/forcedeth.o:init_module:No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorect module parameters, include invalid IO or IRQ parameters
    You may find information in syslog or output from dmesg
    /lyb/modules/2.4.27/Kernel/drivers/net/forcedeth.o:insmod
    /lyb/modules/2.4.27/Kernel/drivers/net/forcedeth.o failed
    /lyb/modules/2.4.27/Kernel/drivers/net/forcedeth.o insmod forcedeth failed

So i suppose it failled .I found that the version of Knoppix is 2.4.27 but when i open it says on the desktop Knoppix3.6.I hope that u found something new to do because i dont know.I stop searching any anserw about this proplem because i dont know where to search.I have one book on linux(The dummies series and it doesnt explain Howto for ethernet very well).I am waiting for the next move if there is

ok, after you do the modprobe command, what does dmesg return regarding the ethernet card? i.e. execute the commands like this:
    Code:
    modprobe forcedeth
    dmesg
    If you want to save yourself some hassle, why not download knoppix 4? I have 3.9 and 4 lying here, and both of them detect the nForce ethernet card on boot.

Just Joined!

Arrow it found something

Ok i will download the 4 version and see what happens.Now when i put first modprobe forcedeth (as a root always) it says again the same message as before but after when putting dmesg it found my card and all other compoments.but i dont think that linux undestand that he has to use it.i try to do a combination of those two commands but i had the same result failled for modprobe forcedeth and indefication of my card for dmesg.Nomarly tomorow morning i will have finish the download Knoppix 4 so we will see if he can found the card.If from accident linux find my card shall i be able to connect to web pages directly after or i have to do other adjustements?if you have any idea more about how to fix this problem i am willing to try

if knoppix 4 detects your card, you will see an entry in ifconfig for eth0, if that is the case, see the 2nd half of my 2nd post regarding the actaul setting up of the card. I think knoppix has a gui tool for this, it is somewhere in the system menu of the KMenu.

also, just out of sheer curiosity, what does dmesg return regarding the ethernet card in knoppix 3.6 after you modprobed the driver?

Just Joined!

Thumbs up That s it i am talking you from LINUX KNOPPIX 4

Ok i download Knoppix 4 and mount it on a cd/dvd and boot the computer and from the begining now (When Knoppix is downloading) it can found my ethernet and my ip.Now i am talking to you through Knoppix isn t that fantastic Now i am a little desapointed tha we could find how to fix the problem in 3.6 but is ok.When a write dmesg on the command shellp in knopix 3.6 there was a big text coming out in wich he found a card but not regornize it.IF you want me to copy this text just tell me(BUT IS LONG and in knoppix 3.6 i dont have the internet so i have to write it first on a paper and the here).
    Now everytime that i will log off from Knoppix all my settings and work that i did on that session will be lost?(because is running on a cd?)do you know any way to acces my hard disk that i have in windows from Knoppix and take some files from there?KNOPPIX 4 is amazing is coming with the internet hahahahahahhaha.Thank u for this help.How long to do you have been working on linux and now so many things .Can i still continuer to do questions about knoppix to u?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast