Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have never been able to boot knoppix on this pc, I have tried many dvd and cd versions over the year and all with same result. Currently I'm using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix hangs in Boot

I have never been able to boot knoppix on this pc, I have tried many dvd and cd versions over the year and all with same result. Currently I'm using Knoppix 5 DVD english version.

It attempts to boot goes through the paces up til starting udev hot-plug hardware detection then cursor disapears and loading stops. I tried with acpi=off and failsafe all of which do the same except failsafe the cursor never disappears it continues to flash I have let it set for as long as 15 minutes with no change.

NTFS hard drives
    Nvidia 6600GT(didnt work when I had a 9500ATI either)
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo
    512MB ram
    AMD 2500+ CPU
    Twinhan 1020 DVB card(may be the issue but I wont remove ow can I get around it)

Please help, thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    Well I pulled the Twinhan pci card and it booted. So how do I go about making it only skip the detection of the card prior to boot? Also I was unable to get internet access to work and couldnt get in any config cause I wasnt root nor could I figure out how to get root/admin access. I read the security txt file which didnt help.

Just Joined!

re:

Although this is an older post, I am just leaving my comments here in case someone is using this page as a reference for this problem
    (Keeping in consideration that this does come up when you search for knoppix 5 + udev)

The problem is Knoppix 5's incompatibilty with various pci/pcmcia devices.

After spending upwards of 90 mins trying to get around this problem (failsafe, expert et all) I was left to no option but to download
    Knoppix 4.0.2.

Before that I tried pulling out all the pci/pcmcia cards, but that did not help much , as the machine would stop booting at the udev part.

for anyone using this post as a reference, if you are getting udev errors, quit trying to install Knoppix 5 now and go with version 4.0.2

Linux Newbie

Is 4 better than 5?

Ideally, when a later version of something is released, you would think that newer is better, right?

I too am having problems woth Knoppix 5 hanging during boot. I suppose the only reason have insisted upon using 5 instead of 4 is because I never could figure wireless out in 4.

I will promptly dig out my old 4 DVD, boot it, and try my new tricks with the old disk.

One thing though. Have you tried the "No" option? My system hangs on 5 only at the DHCP broadcast for my eth1. I boot with the nodhcp option and I get the system up.

Try "knoppix noudev". Also, I wonder what your BIOS has to say about that card. Another thing you can do is simply ask Klaus. Linux-Magazine has a monthly write in column in which the creator of Knoppix answers linux hardware questions, and he helps with other distros too!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfton
    Ideally, when a later version of something is released, you would think that newer is better, right?

I too am having problems woth Knoppix 5 hanging during boot. I suppose the only reason have insisted upon using 5 instead of 4 is because I never could figure wireless out in 4.

I will promptly dig out my old 4 DVD, boot it, and try my new tricks with the old disk.

One thing though. Have you tried the "No" option? My system hangs on 5 only at the DHCP broadcast for my eth1. I boot with the nodhcp option and I get the system up.

Try "knoppix noudev". Also, I wonder what your BIOS has to say about that card. Another thing you can do is simply ask Klaus. Linux-Magazine has a monthly write in column in which the creator of Knoppix answers linux hardware questions, and he helps with other distros too!
    i think i tried pretty much every knoppix hack under the sun. Perhaps I should've tried those hax under the moon

fwiw, i moved to ubuntu LAMP and desktop shortly thereafter. But i'd like to give knoppix 5 hdd install another shot.

what wireless problems are you having?

Linux Newbie
    I cannot get Knoppix, live or hdd, or any of the Knoppix derivitives to boot without the nodhcp.

Once I do get into my window manager (usually KDE) the internet simply won't work.

I have tried the land line and I have tried wireles.

In fact, the only distro that currently works well with my wireless is Mandriva Free 2007, but when I install certain packages, my sound goes away, or my mouse needs reconfiguration on each boot, or the latest issue was that no java ide or sdk was working, and the javac and kava commands in Konsole kept giving me a wierd error.

Unfortunately, I need a distro that will work with my rt2500 wireless and will java. I am taking IFSM201 and CMIS102A and I don't want to touch the computers in the lab.

Linux Newbie
    I got the 5.1.1 cd to boot using knoppix noapm nofirewire xserver=XFree86 and so far I can connect with my LAN but not wireless.

I will attempt a live boot using only 'knoppix xserver=XFree86' because I the boot got past firewire with no problems when I didn't specitfy noapm. I read on another site that apm will not play nice with the rt2500 chipset.

I don't get it. Why can Mepis and Mandriva conect flawlessly but no other current distro can? I really want to make my own custom distro that takes all of the good stuff from Mandriva Free 2007 and adds the SD/MMC reader from Ubunut 6.10 or FC6, and then plays nicely with a good Java 2 IDE. I need to have sdk1.6 for class.

Any suggestions?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfton
    I cannot get Knoppix, live or hdd, or any of the Knoppix derivitives to boot without the nodhcp.

Once I do get into my window manager (usually KDE) the internet simply won't work.

I have tried the land line and I have tried wireless.

In fact, the only distro that currently works well with my wireless is Mandriva Free 2007, but when I install certain packages, my sound goes away, or my mouse needs reconfiguration on each boot, or the latest issue was that no java ide or sdk was working, and the javac and kava commands in Konsole kept giving me a wierd error.

Unfortunately, I need a distro that will work with my rt2500 wireless and will java. I am taking IFSM201 and CMIS102A and I don't want to touch the computers in the lab.
    you are using the ndis wrapper right? otherwise I have no clue

as for it taking out your sound card. hmm irq conflict perhaps? i have noticed loading up vmware on my xp box, takes out my sound card. irq conflict being the culprit there...