Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone! This is my first post so I hope I get good results I have recently been trying out a debian style linux using the Knoppix live cd and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

802.11g wireless usb adapter,got drivers?

Hey everyone! This is my first post so I hope I get good results

I have recently been trying out a debian style linux using the Knoppix live cd and all is going well except that I cant connect to the internet.I have a 802.11g wireless Westell usb adapter connected to a Westell VersaLink router with my Verizon DSL.Now,this all works fine with Windows XP (only thing that really does).I am wondering, do I need some type of linux driver(Knoppix doesn't recognize this adapter at all,not even as being plugged into the usb) or will this set-up never work with linux?

If so,will it work fine if I install the full Debian OS?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and,hopefully, reply.
    Last edited by octavius; 04-03-2006 at 03:24 AM. Reason: smiley looked bad

With usb adapters, in most cases you need a program called ndiswrapper to get the card working. Ndiswrapper just "wraps" windows XP drivers so that linux can use the card.

I believe Knoppix comes with ndiswrapper installed, See the 2nd half of this tutorial on getting the drivers loaded.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Thanks!

Thanks,ill go try that and see how it works.If not,I have been thinking about getting a new ethernet card,only not a very new one so as to retain compatibility.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close