Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was wondering, I really like knoppix, and I think its a good distro, but how is it when it is installed on the hard drive? Is it the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Views on knoppix installed on hd

I was wondering, I really like knoppix, and I think its a good distro, but how is it when it is installed on the hard drive? Is it the same or is it truly meant for live-cd only?

I've heard it breaks after installed to hdd. It is meant to be a live-cd for a reason.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    I've heard it breaks after installed to hdd. It is meant to be a live-cd for a reason.
    Yeah, see, thats what i heard, so i thought i'd get some second opinions before making any rash decisions. What is the point of a live cd anyway? Isnt it just better and easier to stick things on the hard drive, instead of always having to run then from a cd?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    A livecd lets people try out linux, and lets you use some of its tools to do various things. Trust me, they're very useful. People usually don't use livecds on a day-to-day basis, it's just for certain things.

I had no problems at all when I had Knoppix installed to harddrive. Besides knoppix, I also used SimplyMepis and Kanotix, which are both live CD's but install nicely. Besides all of these, I still have DSL installed on a 1 gig monster of a HD, and it's been working great for months now.

Linux Enthusiast
    I would say use Kanotix, just like knoppix but optimised for hard drives

Just Joined!
    Knoppix 5 is available now, and it is supposed to have the installer package included. I havent tried it yet, but it has alot of improvements over 4.0.2, including ntfs write support. I never could get the hd install of 4.0.2 to work properly, but i probably did something wrong. Other people say it works fine. But there are many other flavors of linux that work great, so i couldnt see pulling hair out trying to get it to work. I have ubuntu, and red hat, both are good. Cant wait to try 5 though, if the hd install works as good as ive heard, itll be awesome.

oz
    forum.guy
    I do ike Knoppix as a live-cd and use it frequently but more as a tool/utility rather than a working distro. While I have installed it to the hard drive I much prefer vanilla debian if I'm going to run a debian oriented distro.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion. You should try it on your hard drive and make up your own mind about it.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    Please don't pass along heresay. Try it first for yourself, then state what actually happened to you. I personally have installed several versions of Knoppix onto my harddrive and I've found it quite stable and useful. It's a quick, relatively simple way to get a fully-functional Debian install on your computer.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I highly reccomend Kanotix. I've used 3 different versions of Knoppix and when installed to HD, not all the features are always there but with Kanotix, you get the whole bundle (and it runs faster from HD too!)

Martin
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast