Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I know im doing something wrong, but i just cant get it to work. Ive read tutorials till im crosseyed, and tried several different methods. The machine is capable of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just cant get Knoppix to boot from a flash drive.

I know im doing something wrong, but i just cant get it to work. Ive read tutorials till im crosseyed, and tried several different methods. The machine is capable of usb boot, and i have good images to work with, hard drive, and cd/dvd. Does anyone know of a method/tutorial thats not written in geek-speak, that works?
    Also, im gonna ask the stupid question that others are probably wanting to ask. Why cant the image be written to flash media similar to burning a cd/dvd? I understand the difference in how the various media work, and how the data is transferred to and from. Im just trying to understand why it is so much more complicated (to me anyway) to get it to work on a flash drive. Ive seen Knoppix live installed on a 1G flash drive, ready to boot, advertised for 65$, thats looking pretty good right now. lol
    Thanks

Just Joined!
    Why don't you burn the image to a CD and then simply copy the files to the USB stick? I have not done it personally but I think this should work.

Just Joined!
    Ive tried that, just for grins, but it wont work. All it does is copy the files, it doesnt create a bootable image. Same thing happens when you burn a cd, if you dont set it to burn an iso image. At least i cant get it to work. If you figure out how, let me know. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edit;
    Part of that has to do with the fact that the flash drive has to be formatted. Damn small linux has the tools built in to format it, and install everything in the right spot, to create a bootable flash drive. Knoppix 4.0.2 doesnt, maybe 5 does, i dont know.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Have you tried this HowTo?

http://www.howudune.com/knoppix.php

I don't know that it'll work but it looks simple enough.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I havent tried that one yet. Ill give it a whirl. Thanks alot Ozar

Just Joined!
    Yes, the solution in the above link must work - it creates a virtual CD drive where you can open the iso, extract the files from the .iso and can copy them wherever you like.

Just Joined!
    For anyone else thats interested in having knoppix on a flash drive, the method described in the link above, provided by ozar, works! Its the simplest method ive seen, and the only one i could get to work. Simpler is usually better, no matter what youre doing ! Im sure some of the other ones actually do work, but for some reason i couldnt get them to. The hardest part of this one is having to add a few files from another source, which you have to download, then delete a few files, and youre ready. I think this would even work with other live distro`s.

oz
    forum.guy
    Cool... I'm glad to hear it worked and you are up and running!
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hello, is it possible to do create a bootable Flash drive with a linux dristro from windows?
    Thak you.

Just Joined!

There are detailed and easy to follow 'stuctions at: USB Knoppix 5.1.1 install | Pen Drive Linux

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast