Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I plug in my two different usb drives they both mount just fine. I can see and view the files. I cannot however create a folder or "write" to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB Drives Mount but...

When I plug in my two different usb drives they both mount just fine. I can see and view the files. I cannot however create a folder or "write" to the drives.

I then being the "computer guy" that I am checked the permissions on the drive. The first time I booted were read-only, so I changed that and made sure all the permissions were set for write access.

This is to no avail. I am fixing to install Linux on this computer, but I need to save some of the old files from the corrupt Windows installation. Please help me!

JS

how are you mounting the drives? I assume they're FAT not NTFS. if this is the case, try:
    Code:
    mount -t vfat -o gid=users /dev/sdXY /mnt/point
    the gid will set it to be owned by the group "users" you can also use the uid to set the userid aswell, this might help you.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    I never got it figured out that evening, but yesterday I seeked help from a few friends. I got the issue resolved.

I did have to manually mount the drives as root, and then I had rw access to the drive.

I appreciate the response!
    JS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close