Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Can anyone tell me how to permanently save my sound settings in Kanotix(I know it's not precisely Knoppix but it's based on it and uses the same installer)? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Saving sound settings

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to permanently save my sound settings in Kanotix(I know it's not precisely Knoppix but it's based on it and uses the same installer)? I have 2 sound cards in my machine, one is on-board and I can't disable it in the BIOS and the other PCI. On most start-ups, the older card is dected and it takes a few reboots after choosing the right one from K-MIX for the change to take effect. but the next time I switch on and boot up, the older card is again detected. I had this issue in Knoppix and I wasn't able to resolve it.

Thanks,

Martin
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    In Knoppix to save all your setting I used persistant image saved on my HDD. It saved all my sound settings as well as all desktop image. If you have any Linux space available you can partition your HDD. Also swap space will help in boot. If Kanotix has something similar it should work.
    BTW, after alsamixer settings/switch are configured use
    alsactl store

Quote Originally Posted by Martin from Dublin
    I have 2 sound cards in my machine, one is on-board and I can't disable it in the BIOS and the other PCI.
    Updating your BIOS to the manufacturer's most recent version should allow to disable it in the BIOS.

"waka"'s solution is a very good one too, and will allow to do much more than save your sound settings.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close