Find the answer to your Linux question:
Knoppix 5.0 has pretty decent ntfs access with fuse and mountntfs. On my computer at home I could mount a SATA Raid 0 drives formatted ntfs by XP then read ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Write permission on SATA HD formatted NTFS with knoppix 5.0

Knoppix 5.0 has pretty decent ntfs access with fuse and mountntfs. On my computer at home I could mount a SATA Raid 0 drives formatted ntfs by XP then read and even write to the hard drive. MY friends computer has plain SATA drive formatted NTFS by XP and I can mount the drive and view files but it's not giving me write permission. This is what I'm doing. After knoppix 5.0 boots, there is an icon for his drive on the desktop, I right click it and click mount. From here I can read his files, but not write. When I right click the drive icon and click enable read/write access, it gives me an error saying that 'perhaps the drive is in use by another proccess' I dont think the drive is in use. Any idea why I won't give me write access? Should I bring up the console and log on to su and use mountntfs from the command line to access the drive?

Just Joined!
    that is a dangerous procedure, but if you wish you can try

"mount -o remount,rw /mnt/"

or

"mount -rw -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1"

on writing to NTFS visit http://www.linux-ntfs.org/ for more info.

Knoppix & BitDefender live cd has support for write access in ntfs filles.
    ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp....5.6_CeBIT.iso