Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am originally a windows user, with limited experience in Linux (SuSE and Knoppix). My hard drive died the other day and I wanted to use Knoppix until i can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix Does Not Detect My Onboard NIC

I am originally a windows user, with limited experience in Linux (SuSE and Knoppix). My hard drive died the other day and I wanted to use Knoppix until i can get a new hard drive, everything boots up fine, but it does not detect my onboard NIC, and I am not able to install drivers for it (i have them on a CD, but it spits some error out at me about a read-only filesystem) and i was wondering if anybody could offer a newbie some help I do use 2 cd-rom drives, which is how i'm able to run knoppix and install drivers from a CD at the same time. Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2ghz)
    ATI X1600 Pro
    1gb Dual Channel Ram (DDR400)

and my NIC is "Marvell Yukon 88E8001 Gigabit LAN" Onboard NIC (ASUS A8R-MVP Motherboard)

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Also, i'm running v3 of Knoppix, i know it's old...i tried running a newer version, but it would not boot correctly, and freeze at the boot screen. (Where it turns black and has the two penguins on top)

Quote Originally Posted by DocFeelgood
    and my NIC is "Marvell Yukon 88E8001 Gigabit LAN" Onboard NIC (ASUS A8R-MVP Motherboard)
    The drivers for this card are already present in the Linux kernel. The module is called "sk98lin".

You can check out this thread for more details on how to make it work :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sla...work-card.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thanks, but when i put the command (modprobe sk98lin) in the root console, this is what happens (i took two pics, because my monitor is too big to get it in one shot)

Edit: Resized pics

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?i...hto00743yk.jpg
    http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?i...hto00758vz.jpg

If you can't read it, let me know and i'll run back and forth and type it out

So that's Knoppix 3.1 ? With a 2.4.22 kernel?

With a machine like yours, even if you get the network card working, you would still be way better off with a more recent distro.

Try Ubuntu 6.06 Live perhaps. Try the "desktop" version for either "i386" or "amd64".

Did you try Knoppix 5.0.1?

I don't think there is a driver for your card in 2.4.22 kernel anyway.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

I remember back in v3.x of Knoppix there was both a 2.4 and 2.6 kernel, which you could choose from a boot time. A few friends of mine discoered that many of the driver modules only worked in 2.6 which is not the default kernel. This was particularly true with nforce chipsets and some broadcom nics. Maybe this will be of help to you too. On the boot menu you will be able to press F2 (I think...) which will give you a list of boot options. From memory I think the option is kernel26 but you shold see it in the menu. I have to agree with antidrugue though, a newer distro would be better especially given all of the new technologies that have emerged over the last 18 months.

Just Joined!
    I'm using Knoppix 3.3, because i've already had it...i have v4 on a disk, but it wouldn't load properly (the boot screen appeared white with the Knoppix text at the bottom, and it froze at the init screen with the two penguins on top). I am only using Knoppix until i can get a new hard drive, then i will probably go back to windows, for compatibility reasons (i am a big PC gamer)

I tried the command "kernel26" to no avail, it said it couldnt find that image...if you meant to type in "knoppix kernel26" i tried that and it booted...but i havent tried the modprobe sk98lin command yet.

I'll probably download a new version (v5) of Knoppix tonight, i tried last night, but only got around 30kb/s on just about every mirror (i'm in Cali, US)

Just Joined!
    So i downloaded and burned Knoppix v5 and this is what happened at initial boot

http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?i...hto00767ax.jpg

then this:

http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?i...hto00772qn.jpg

And doesn't do anything from there

Just Joined!
    Well, it seems if i leave Knoppix booting up for longer than i thought (i left the room), it boots up just fine. It autodetected my NIC, and i want to thank you guys for giving up some time to help out a noob