Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Iv searched the forums for this and havnt found it, this has also been doing this to me on slax and at the moment I have no dedicated *nix installation. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS not resolving.

Iv searched the forums for this and havnt found it, this has also been doing this to me on slax and at the moment I have no dedicated *nix installation.

simply put I cannot resolve hostnames..

directly connecting to the IP's of sites or services works (though slowly), and I can traceroute/ping/nmap/nc. my /etc/resolv.conf has both of the nameservers in it.. and I have used hmmm... iftraffic? or whatever network monitoring tool knoppix comes with and find that I am actually sending out resolve requests to both of the dns servers on port 53 only to have no return

I am behind a NAT router, working as a DHCP. I have tried forwarding port 53 to my specific terminal with no avail. The fact that this has been happening on 2 different live cd's means its probrably hardware related (even if with my router hardware).. I'm using a NETGEAR RP614v2 router..

For a while I thought it could have been something wrong with konqueror, fiddled with the proxies (I'm not sure why its completly different..) but it does the same with firefox.

cant whois.. havnt tried host.

this is really pissing me off..

and Im just getting back into linux after a 3 year break from a burn out..

it seems all the requests are going through eth1.. shouldnt they be going through eth0? on startup theres a DHCP request for both..

thats about all the information I can think of.. using knoppix 5 and the latest version of slax does it to.

thank you

Linux Enthusiast
    Do you have two NICs? Yes, your IP traffic should be going through eth0 unless you are using two NICs. How are your other workstations behaving? You shouldn't have to forward ports for NAT to work properly. That would defeat the purpose of NAT if you had to forward ports. Post your ifconfig and let us see it.

Try plugging eth1 in to the router, or (temporarily) removing one
    network card.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Cant belive I didnt think of that, Alright I have 2 NIC's one onboared (that Im not using with windows) and then a seperate card.

I couldnt write onto my hd (can you write on ntfs yet?) for copy/pasting my ifconfig and couldnt get here so heres what it said,

eth0 with a ip of 10.4.1.4
    eth1 with ip of 10.4.1.3 (the ip that MAC is registered to)
    and a loopback

so eth1 was working like it allyways was (not resolving) and I used iptraffic to check it out, I tried running through the on-board NIC and it sent everything out through the loopback..

I would really prefer NOT to use the ob-board, its a POS..

thanks for this help, this forum is pretty good.

Just Joined!
    oh and for the moment there are no other workstations.. except for a xbox which works fine and dandy... and windows laptops work whenever I plug them into the NAT.

Just Joined!
    Have you tried turning off IP Version 6? Don't ask me how to do it but I had to do it a while back and as soon as I did my connection has worked fine ever since. I had to look up how to do it then. I'm not that great at linux.

Every live distro I've used that has it won't connect to the net for me.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskip
    Have you tried turning off IP Version 6? Don't ask me how to do it but I had to do it a while back and as soon as I did my connection has worked fine ever since. I had to look up how to do it then. I'm not that great at linux.

Every live distro I've used that has it won't connect to the net for me.

once the kernal has IPv6 running in it you cannot just turn it off without rebooting the system, on a live cd.. that means just restarting with the same thing.. im trying to find the IPv6 module for slax right now and make myself a iso with it excluded (actually with backtrack but whatever) if this works ill tell you, so far though.. no such luck (like I said so far its doing this on SLAX, Knoppix, and backtrack).

any other ideas? what happens if I remove eth0 from ifconfig?? I really wish I had a partitioned install, ill be getting a laptop at the end of the month.. till then, id love any help I could get.

Just Joined!
    okay okay, I tried hooking up my computer directly to my modem and running dhcpcd (dosnt run on startup for my live-cd's) with -dDH (verbose, force domain server resolution, force hostname resolution)

and it recognized my comcast dns server, I tried pinging the server and it couldnt even resolve ITS hostname.. could the problem be there? I dunno, sorry for posting so much.. I know im a pain in the ass.

Just Joined!
    Try using DSL (damn small linux) in the meantime. It has always connected for me on a live distro.

once the kernal has IPv6 running in it you cannot just turn it off without rebooting the system, on a live cd
    I'm pretty sure your correct on that, but if I'm not mistaken I had Knoppix installed to the hd when I was using it. That's why I was able to disable it. DSL has always connected for me straight away. It's only 50 Meg if you want to try it. Or you could try an older version of Knoppix before IP version 6. I may be wrong but it really sounds like it could be your problem.

Just Joined!

Resolved!

Im very happy, thanks thank thanks

the final solution? changed my ip pool from 10.4.1.X to 192.168.1.X

does anyone know WHY this is?> id love to know, but.. I got linux up and running again, im very happy

cya

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast