Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have no idea how to use linux and I was recently trying to use a version of knoppix to format a hard drive, as I am interested in trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mke2fs shrank hard drive from 20gb to 2gb

I have no idea how to use linux and I was recently trying to use a version of knoppix to format a hard drive, as I am interested in trying to install linux instead of windows, i used mke2fs and somehow my harddrive now only registers as 2gb when i know it's a 20 gb hard drive... unfortunately I have no idea what this means but every program I have used such as hard drive scrubbers, or other versions of linux or even a windows install disc as well as the BIOS say the hard drive is only 2gb large. Any help on how to restore it to 20gb would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonist
    I have no idea how to use linux and I was recently trying to use a version of knoppix to format a hard drive,
    GParted LiveCD might be more appropirate for that :
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

as well as the BIOS say the hard drive is only 2gb large.
    Look into your BIOS settings then. If you want more help with that, please post your computer model, or else your motherboard model. Or contact your computer's manufacturer about that issue.

So, post more details about your hardware if you want more help.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Hardware:
    Mobo: Asus P4S800D-X
    Processor: Pentium 4, 2.6 ghz
    Video: ADVANTech GeForce 4/FX series AGP (something like that)
    HD: 20gb IBM hard drive
    512 mb sd-ram
    NEC ND-2500 DVD burner
    NetGear WG311T wireless PCI card

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Is there no way that I can reset the hard drive, like to factory settings or whatever, through the BIOS or any other program? Or is there a way I can scan the hard drive past what it thinks is the end in order to gain access to the rest of the space?

I guess I don't really understand what happened, all I know is that it only registers as a 2gb hard drive when I know it should be around 20gb.

You could go into the BIOS, and reset the settings to default values (just to make sure there is nothing wrong there).

HD: 20gb IBM hard drive
    You can download IBM's specific disk diagnostic utility (on IBM's site) and test the hard drive.

Also, make sure you have latest BIOS version for your motherboard (version 1005 for Asus P4S800D-X).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Yeah I tried resetting the BIOS to its initial settings, didn't affect the HD though.... the more specific name of the HD under the BIOS is IBM-DTTA-351680 I'll try a diagnostics, would you recommend like PC-Doctor type thing or what? Thanks for all your help so far.

the more specific name of the HD under the BIOS is IBM-DTTA-351680
    This "deskstar" hard drive from IBM has its own diagnostic utility, made by hitachi.

From IBM support site :
    http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/hdd/hddredirect-drivenum.html
    in which your hard drive model is
    DTTA-351680
    they redirect to this site, where you can download the utility "Drive Fitness Test (v4.07)" :
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Ah, thank you very much... I will run this and post whatever results I find... thanks for all of your help I really appreciate it

Just Joined!
    The IBM utility didn't really seem to find any problems, it scanned the disk, but I'm not sure it scanned the entire thing, because it thinks its only 2 gb large... I'm not really sure what to do from here... I suppose the drive is probably ruined, seeing as there's no way to fix the rest of the disk if every program thinks its only a 2gb hard drive. If you have any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate them, otherwise thanks for your help.