Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all i want to access as root on my knoppix, i have Knoppix version 5.0 on my hardDrive i just login as user, when a test to acccess root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question root loggin

Dear all

i want to access as root on my knoppix, i have Knoppix version 5.0 on my hardDrive i just login as user, when a test to acccess root the system tell me -root logins are not allowed-

please, can you help me can acces on my knoppix mode 'root'

Best Regard

sorry for my bas english

Linux User
    Hi angelus_kit,
    Read this from Knoppix Documentation Wiki : -

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Root

With Regards,
    Thinker

Just Joined!
    hi

thanks for your proposition but this topic not help me, my problem, when i start my system and have the login manager can t to login as root i can just login as user but root no, whay ?

Bast Regard

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    It is in general a very bad idea to login as root on KDE/any window manager since bugs in a program you use (which btw occur quite frequently on such window managers) can , in the worst case, make your system unusable. Therefor knoppix does not allow you to login as root on Graphical window managers such as KDE. You can however do so by executing startx on a tty with root login.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!
    Root login is disabled in knoppix, and most other flavors of linux, by default. This is done for security, and other reasons, one important one being to keep you from making damaging changes to certain files. Please read the documentation in this and other forums, related to root login. Just do a search "root login" , or something similar, and youll find lots of info. However, root login is possible in knoppix( 4 and 5 at least) , by editing 1 line of code, similar to editing the registry in windows, so be careful, one punctuation mark out of place, on the right line, and your system may not boot. But for those that want root login, from the login screen, here it is, but use at your own risk.
    Open the root shell, open konqueror from the root shell, navigate to the
    /ect/kde3/kdm/kdmrc folder. Right click on the kdmrc folder, choose: properties, permissions : change all permissions to rw, check the box that says "is executable". click on ok . Now left click on the kdmrc folder, scroll down about 1/3 of the screen, i think its around line 250 or so, look for several lines related to root login. Find the one that says "allow root login=false" , change false to true, click on file, save, and then exit.
    Now reboot, and when the login screen comes up, you should see root as an option. Click on root, for your username type root, then your root password. You will see a different desktop and background than for a default user login, but dont worry, everythings still there and works, its just rearranged a little.
    My suggestion to anyone wanting to play around this way, is to pick up a spare hard drive, and put whatever flavor of linux you like on it . You can pick up good used ones very reasonable, and even new ones for less than 50 cents per Gb. Dual booting is fine, but you stand a chance of wiping out your windows stuff if you make a mistake, always backup! Have fun!!!!

Just Joined!
    thank you very mach unclebubbles i can now to acces on my Knoppix root mode.

Bast Regard

Just Joined!

Loging as root

for those that want root login, from the login screen, here it is, but use at your own risk.
    Open the root shell, open konqueror from the root shell, navigate to the
    /ect/kde3/kdm/kdmrc folder. Right click on the kdmrc folder, choose: properties, permissions : change all permissions to rw, check the box that says "is executable". click on ok . Now left click on the kdmrc folder, scroll down about 1/3 of the screen, i think its around line 250 or so, look for several lines related to root login. Find the one that says "allow root login=false" , change false to true, click on file, save, and then exit.
    Now reboot, and when the login screen comes up, you should see root as an option.

HEllo:

I tried doing this, but could not even open konqueror.. i kept getting a message saying konqueror could not connect to X server...

Just Joined!
    I dont know what thats all about, but what version are you using? Does your installation work ok otherwise? Can you open konqueror at all, from the taskbar? There is a way to change those file permissions from the command line, with the "chmod" command. I couldnt get that to work , thats why i did it this way. When you open konqueror from the root shell, you are authorized as root, to change file permissions. Maybe someone else can help you with the command line method, i probably didnt do it right.

Just Joined!

thanx

Well, since i couldn't get konqueror open from rootshell, what i did was..

just su then chown the file to my username... then i was able to open and edit it. now root is available. but thank you very much, you helped a lot.
    best regards.

Just Joined!

Alternative Method

To login as root without having the "login as root" login window(for safety reasons), we could do this:
    1)When Knoppix loads up,it comes to a graphic login window showing user login.
    2)At the right bottom corner of the "MENU"window, there is a drop down list of modes to login.Select Console Login and click Login Button.
    3)It will bring you to a console command line login.....here you key in "root" and login as root with the root password if you have it installed into hdd(otherwise just hit enter in password column)
    4)once you are logged-in as root.....you can use command line to do whatever you want.If you want to run it in KDE as normal,then just key-in "startx" in the command line and it will give you the same GUI environment,but, as root.

NOT BAD for a noob hah!!!