Find the answer to your Linux question:
i need to ask a few question: 1. which mirror best to download v5.0.1? i already have 1 but when i try console, pty error popup. i donno what is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hello guys

i need to ask a few question:
    1. which mirror best to download v5.0.1? i already have 1 but when i try console, pty error popup. i donno what is this means.
    2. y i cant open network card configuration? it just flashes n gone.
    3. what the command line to connect internet from network pc? my gateway is aztech dsl 600 er. or do i need to hook direct to router?
    hope u guys can help me

Just Joined!
    I got mine from one of the german sites like ftp.uni-kl.de The speed is quite good.

What kind of errors pop up when you open the console?

If you can open the console, what do you see when you type ifconfig -a ?

Just Joined!
    when i open console....a popup shows a fatal error has occured. concole is unable to open a PTY.it is likely that this is due to an incorrect configuration of the PTY devices. console needs to have read/write access to the PTY devices

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Your problems 1) and 2) are related. For some reason udev does not fire up to configure/install pty devices. This is tough..... may be some one else can suggest something.....

In the mean time, can you provide some details:
    - are you booting off a LiveCD or have you installed onto hard disk?
    - what network card and what video card do you have?

- do you have usb devices plugged in?

Try disconnecting as many external devices as you can (such as USB devices) and see if you can boot up and start the console.

I am afraid if you can't get the console up, there's many things you can't do, like your 3).

Just Joined!

Question

ok...i boot from cd only. do i need to install to hdd to configure everything?
    i use nvidia geforce 2 mx 400 n realtek rtl8139 nic. no don have usb device plug in

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by markom
    ok...i boot from cd only. do i need to install to hdd to configure everything?
    i use nvidia geforce 2 mx 400 n realtek rtl8139 nic. no don have usb device plug in

If you would like to keep your settings then yes, you will have to install it to hdd, if not then you can just keep booting off of cd, but for installing i do not think that this is the best distro (or even in the top ten) i would recomend SuSe or Fedora or Ubuntu.... or PC-BSD (my favorite, but not linux)

max

Just Joined!
    Ok let's try to see if Knoppix has detected and configured your NIC or not. (This will not solve the pty problem).

You will have to get to the command line. Since you can't open a console which in the X gui, we will have to bump down to text mode. Do this:

1) type control-alt-f2 (this will get you into console mode. You should see a simple prompt.)

2) type ifconfig (you should see something. If you see eth0....and a hardware address, that means some NIC has been detected. Note the 1st 2 lines in case we need it for further diagnosis later)

3) if the second line shows some IP address, that means you are probably configured.

4) if you don't see eth0, or you don't see an IP address then

5) type pump

6) try ifconfig again

7) type control-alt-f5 to get back into gui mode. Use firefox and see if you can access the internet.

Just Joined!
    i would like to use knoppix because it run from cd...therefore i don have to worry about virus, trojan n spyware. u also don have to worry about hackers since the cd no data juz boot prog. later i will try ur advice since this week i dont bring the cd

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by markom
    i would like to use knoppix because it run from cd...therefore i don have to worry about virus, trojan n spyware. u also don have to worry about hackers since the cd no data juz boot prog. later i will try ur advice since this week i dont bring the cd

If you dont want to worry about viri or hackers use bsd, its the most secure os... use pc-bsd if you dont know how to use bsd at all... it has an equivilent of a .exe file called .pbi, also, it has the kde desktop enviroment so that should be familiar too.

max