Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently installed ubuntu 6.06 on my laptop and am having some trouble connecting to the internet through my ethernet card (Ethernet card is detected but connection status is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network Settings

Hi,
    I recently installed ubuntu 6.06 on my laptop and am having some trouble connecting to the internet through my ethernet card (Ethernet card is detected but connection status is constantly listed as 'idle'). However, upon recently running the Damn Small Linux 2 live CD (which I'm pretty sure is based on Knoppix), the internet worked with no problems at all. So is there any way that I can retrieve the correct settings and use them to connect in Ubuntu?

Thanks.

From ubuntu, try this:
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    ping -c 10 www.google.com
    post back what happens. Also how are you conencted to internet? e.g. DSL modem to router to your computer..
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I'm connected using a pcmcia ethernet card straight to a DSL modem/router.
    I tried the above instructions to ping google but all that came up was
    ping: unknown host www.google.com

ok, what happens when you try to ping you router? Or try pinging using IP addresses e.g. 66.249.89.99 for one of google.com's servers.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Since my last post I've managed to get another '3com' ethernet card and can now connect to the internet, but in order to do so, I have to physically eject both ethernet cards after boot up,(deactivate/activate doesn't do much), plug the old xircom one back in, even though I don't plan to use it, and then plug the 3com card I am using in a few seconds later so that it is configured as 'eth1'. I'm not entirely sure why this is seeing as the settings for eth0 and eth1 should be exactly the same.

My /etc/network/interfaces looks like this on startup:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
    iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

But after unplugging/plugging the network cards in, it changes itself to this:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
    iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth0

The obvious problem being, as far as I can see, that somewhere along the line it's doing something to the settings for eth0 which I presume is why I can only access the internet through a card called eth1.

I am currently using the eth1 connection to type this post. The Xircom eth0 card doesn't even have a network cable attached.

Any suggestions?