Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
now i use knoppix from a CD,but i want to buy usb stick key for have knoppix on it.The problem is that i dont know if knoppix will boot from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

usb

now i use knoppix from a CD,but i want to buy usb stick key for have knoppix on it.The problem is that i dont know if knoppix will boot from usb.Is there anybody who use knoppix 4.0.2 from usb stick key?

I have done it with dsl (not knoppix).... take a look at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    I am using Knoppix 4 and 5 from a flash drive, and they both work great. It runs considerably faster than from cd/dvd. Some flash drives work better than others, and ive read that some wont work at all. I use PNY, and they work fine. The wiki article above , gives instructions on how to make most of them work. Heres another method you can check out, this is the one i used, furnished by our friend Ozar.
    http://www.howudune.com/knoppix.php
    Your bios must support booting from usb, otherwise youll have to boot from cd, and force it to read/run from the flash drive. Good luck, have fun.

thanks for help!
    the problem is that i have alredy bought usb key ,but i have old machine which doesnt support booting from usb!

Just Joined!
    You can still use it from the flash drive, as long as your system can read/write to it, youll just have to use a different method. Youll need at least a 1g flash drive, the compressed image is around 700mb. Insert the flash drive, and boot the cd. From the boot prompt Type: knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1
    This will copy the image to the flash drive, be patient, it takes a while. When its finished, to use it, reboot to the cd. At the boot prompt , type:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1
    This cheat code will force it to run from the flash drive, and you can remove the cd, and use the drive for something else. For more info, and options for adding more cheat codes, and creating a persistent directory, have a look here.
    http://mozillaquest.com/Linux06/Knop...1_Story01.html
    good luck.

do i have to connect empty usb flash drive before typing knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1?

Just Joined!
    Yes , it has to be connected so knoppix can detect it and know where to send the image.

ok today i got usb stick key 2gb.im lucky and i discoverd that my computer supports booting from usb.i inserted knoppix dvd and i typed
    Code:
    knoppix tohd /dev/sda1
    i didnt insert = because i have slovenian keybord and i dont know where = is on english keyboard.Can anybody tell me where is = like (shift+7)

boot

ok knppix is on my usb stick now.I can run it with
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1
    but when i select (in the boot menu)boot from usb i get this message
    Code:
    SEARCHING FOR BOOT RECORD FROM USB RMD-FDD.....OK

Invalid System Disk
    Replace the Disk and than press any key
    Please help i realy want to boot knoppix without cd

Just Joined!
    This method will not allow booting from the flash drive, it has to be booted from the cd/dvd. This is the simplest method ive found for using knoppix from a flash drive, and it has several advantages. It can be used on machines that dont support booting from usb, and it frees up the cd/dvd drive. If you want to boot from the flash drive directly, youll have to use a different method of installing it to the flash drive.
    The method described here:http://www.howudune.com/knoppix.php , as mentioned in an earlier post, works and is fairly simple.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast