Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
"You don't need to specify the partition or drive yet, you don't need to specifiy your screen resolution yet, and you don't really need to do anythnig else except follow ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"You don't need to specify the partition or drive yet, you don't need to specifiy your screen resolution yet, and you don't really need to do anythnig else except follow the prompts UNLESS you are not getting the results you need. For example, I need to type:
    Code:
    knoppix-installer xserver=XFree86
    in order to get my laptop to boot.

Try many different things, don't give up if people here give you bad or incomplete advice. "

EXACTLY. The reason I used the cheatcodes to get to the kind of installation I wanted was because just using "knoppix-installer" in the black screen console set me up to wipe the whole hard drive with knoppix the sole system instead of getting to only the first partition. There isn't a CLUE about what it will do to your drive NEXT.

It is necessary to evaluate which method gets you where you want to go SUCCESSFULLY. My method of using the cheatcodes as stated in my post above got me what I wanted; which may not get you the same desirous result. It is one of the problems that Unix-minds don't understand - that a gui with specific choices works more confidently for beginners than a blank text screen with no help. Seemingly, POWERFUL has always meant obscure, no help, and inadequate communication providing POWER to the few who already know the result.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by HKestenholz
    EXACTLY. The reason I used the cheatcodes to get to the kind of installation I wanted was because just using "knoppix-installer" in the black screen console set me up to wipe the whole hard drive with knoppix the sole system instead of getting to only the first partition. There isn't a CLUE about what it will do to your drive NEXT.

It is necessary to evaluate which method gets you where you want to go SUCCESSFULLY. My method of using the cheatcodes as stated in my post above got me what I wanted; which may not get you the same desirous result. It is one of the problems that Unix-minds don't understand - that a gui with specific choices works more confidently for beginners than a blank text screen with no help. Seemingly, POWERFUL has always meant obscure, no help, and inadequate communication providing POWER to the few who already know the result.
    I truly hope that you were not offended by MY comment...
    I have been using Knoppix since version 3.7 and I have never lost my whole hard drive. When first start the installation, you have the choice of installing it like a pro, begginner, or like on the Knoppix disc.

I have always seen a screen in which I can choose to manually edit the partitions. My devoted linux partition is always hda5 on my machines unless I am using a virtual hdd in Qemu. I have never lost my Windows data to a Linux installer. Perhaps you simply didn't see the page during the install where you could have chosen to specify the partition, or perhaps on your particular machine, the installer had a bug, but I have done this very thing on no less than six different types of computers, and about twenty different Qemu installs, so I don't see where specifying the partition at the initial prompt is NECESSARY.

I am sure that at a minimum, it saves time. My point was that your advice may not work for everyone, and that this particular user may lose data because hda5 may in fact be a partition that he/she wishes to save the data from. Besides, my "incomplete or bad information" was not directed at anyone in particular.

Do you have a problem with trusting your own advice?
    "...if you throw a stone into a pack of dogs, the one it hits is the one who yelps..."

Just Joined!

Just clarification

No offense taken. I just wanted to make it clear that in my installation for the latest burn, there were no clues to what happens next in the procedure, so the cheat-codes were 'insurance' - and worked for what I wanted to do. The choice I met was that the hard disk was going to be wiped with no other clue as to how to just do to an existing target partition. There might very well be another page telling more specific instructions that I couldn't afford to gamble on seeing.

A newbie to the installation methods can't afford to format out a whole disk to see if that is the next step. It is a fault of programmers that they usually don't consult a professional editor to examine if they've exposed just what is needed for a GUI to give clear and complete predictive instructions.

However, the new instructions in that procedure are light years ahead of meeting a blank screen with no clue as to what to type as is the usual situation for newbies confronting a Unix-like attitude of 'don't tell 'em anything, let'em search for it like we had to - we know powerful.'

If one of your main points was:
    not to take the cheatcodes
    I USED
    for your own
    because you probably wouldn't need
    THOSE PARTICULAR CHEATCODES
    as you have another situation
    ... it is good advice.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2