Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
s there any way we can install Knoppix 5.0.1 from the Live DVD?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Knoppix 5.0.1 Live DVD

s there any way we can install Knoppix 5.0.1 from the Live DVD?

hi plsoft
    Sure you can install knoppix from live cd..thats why is made for.

I mean to install it permanently on a hard disk so that i don't have to run again from the DVD. If so, pls tell me how to go about it since i couldn't find any install option in the DVD while booting from it.

boot into knoppix and type
    Code:
     knoppix-installer
    I hope that helps

Thnx , will try out.

Just Joined!
    The dvd version will install fine with the code jan1024188 gave you. You can also use: knx2hd
    Unless you need the extra packages, you might want to install the cd version. The dvd has alot of programming and development packages that you may never need. It is a large install also, uncompressed, it takes around 9gb, so youll need a big enough partition or free space for that. It takes a while too, make a pot of coffee and relax, its about 2 hrs.lol

Sorry guys but m having second thoughts now. I happen to read from the www.knoppix.net site that there may be problems when knoppix is installed on a hard disk n that it is not recommended. Wat's yur say on this?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by plsoft
    Sorry guys but m having second thoughts now. I happen to read from the www.knoppix.net site that there may be problems when knoppix is installed on a hard disk n that it is not recommended. Wat's yur say on this?
    A lot of people install it to the hard drive without problems but it wasn't really meant for that. The best thing to do is to install it and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, try something else.
    oz

Just Joined!

Knoppix 5.0 install finesse

I haven't seen instructions to install Knoppix to the hard disk that are complete. Most tell to install using knoppix-installer; but that usually leaves you in a 1024x screen. Most newer computers can view better than that and trying to change the xorg.conf file often dumps you into 640x.

You can specify where the install will be on a multiply-partitioned hard disk. For instance, if you want to partition 8 gig for knoppix as partition 1 with a 1024 meg SWAP on partition 2, another 8 gig for XP on partition 3, you can do that.

To install Knoppix on partition 1, using the Knoppix cheat-codes worked for me.

After booting Knoppix 5 from the CD, I typed into the terminal:

sudo knoppix-installer hda1 screen=1280x1024 dma

and was able to go right to the install procedure. I installed all 3 options (flavors of debian). the debian install (1) left me with less programs on the desktop than the CD. The multi-user option (2) wouldn't recognize my USB or drives. The Knoppix version (3) gave me all the desktop programs and my USB and drives could be read.

(I have no idea why these versions give more or less than the CD, considering they all can make use of the CD method of testing for components if they were set up that way.)

BTW, I like Ubuntu 6.1; but it wouldn't get past the start screen and hangs on the particular machine I installed Knoppix on with no problem.)

The bottom line here is that you can use the cheat-codes to install and get what you want for screen sizes instead of searching all over the web to alter the configuration files, which don't seem to work the same in 5.0.

So if you want to install on partition 1, dma turned on, and a large screen use:
    sudo knoppix-installer hda1 screen=1280x1024 dma

instead of sudo knoppix-installer

Linux Newbie
    Go to the CD/DVD and find the cheatcodes. They may help.

Instead of trying the installer from Konsole, hit ctrl+alt+F2 (or F3, F4) and get to a virtual terminal. (black screen with text only)

type:
    [CODE]knoppix-installer/CODE]

You don't need to specify the partition or drive yet, you don't need to specifiy your screen resolution yet, and you don't really need to do anythnig else except follow the prompts UNLESS you are not getting the results you need. For example, I need to type:
    Code:
    knoppix-installer xserver=XFree86
    in order to get my laptop to boot.

Try many different things, don't give up if people here give you bad or incomplete advice. Just be aware that there are problems with wireless in Knoppix since 4.0. Wireless may drive you nuts like it has me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast