Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys I feel like such a n00b. anyway the problem as it stands is as follows. I run the live disc version of knoppix 5.01 and it lets me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy knoppix 5.01 networking issue

Hey guys I feel like such a n00b.
    anyway the problem as it stands is as follows.
    I run the live disc version of knoppix 5.01 and it lets me use gaim, browse webpages, etc, however, I installed it to hard drive, now, when I open up this machine, it will NOT let me see anything internet related or get anything on the network...

I'm wondering what the differences are or what i'd need to change to make it run from h/d and actually have access to the web?

tried running k > knoppix > network/internet > network card configuration
    tried to make eth0 and eth1 use dhcp and the magic failed...

I have a wireless pcmcia card one of the orinoco (labelled skynet) 802.11 DS

any clues/tips help would be MORE than greatly appreciated.
    after I fix this problem my next issue will be to get it so I have ONE shared folder on the desktop so I can use this machine to remotely store stuff..

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by xeriphism
    Hey guys I feel like such a n00b.
    anyway the problem as it stands is as follows.
    I run the live disc version of knoppix 5.01 and it lets me use gaim, browse webpages, etc, however, I installed it to hard drive, now, when I open up this machine, it will NOT let me see anything internet related or get anything on the network...

I'm wondering what the differences are or what i'd need to change to make it run from h/d and actually have access to the web?

tried running k > knoppix > network/internet > network card configuration
    tried to make eth0 and eth1 use dhcp and the magic failed...

I have a wireless pcmcia card one of the orinoco (labelled skynet) 802.11 DS

any clues/tips help would be MORE than greatly appreciated.
    after I fix this problem my next issue will be to get it so I have ONE shared folder on the desktop so I can use this machine to remotely store stuff..
    I think you should use wlan0 for wireless adapters. Eth0 is only for wired connections I think (someone correct me if Im wrong).
    you can try ifconfig wlan0.
    You should see an Ip address. Otherwhise you have to configure your wlan adapter.
    ALso look if the led (the little light on your card) is on.
    Else try: ifup wlan0
    I did this a long time ago so it could be that some of the things I say are not correct or not for wlan adapters.
    But I hope this will give you a start.