Find the answer to your Linux question:
so if i USE a live CD how will i save documents and settings since i dont have alot of space left on the CD...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

so if i USE a "live CD"..

so if i USE a live CD how will i save documents and settings since i dont have alot of space left on the CD

Well the Cd is burned already. how do u expect to write to it? You can save info to the HDD.. but why do that. If u like what you see then install it. Of get a distro that has an installer. Last i looked knoppix doesnt have one, but there are ways to install it. I hope this helped, and here's a list of my favorite GNU/linux distros..

!) gentoo -- is a source distro. The handbook is excellent, if your read it through u will have no problems installing.

2) archlinux -- binary distro. compiles all in i686 which makes it snappy.. also theres AUR packages thats not supported by arch but there easy to make and add

3) slackware -- another binary distro one of the original if not the 1st and not to sure.. but you will learn alot using this distro..

4)sourcemage -- source based.. has better tools then gentoo for some. and it's very snappy as well. boots alot wuicker then gentoo.. the install is very easy... but the docs arent that great.. a little effort and and patience you will be proud you sruck through it.

Good luck in what you choose to do.. but you cant write to a burn disk already.

Although you're pretty much correct in 99.9% of cases richiefrich, it is worth mentioning that there is an edition of Pupply Linux that is burnt to a CD-RW. It basically partitions the CD into system and documents (using multi-session) so that you can in fact save documents back to the CD.

But generally you can save documents to a mounted drive. At the moment NTFS support is only being added so you may not be able to write to partitions on your own machine, they are most likely read only.

hi Robe !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robe
    so if i USE a live CD how will i save documents and settings since i dont have alot of space left on the CD
    well !! you are not going to save anything in LiveCD itself... some LiveCds automount harddisk partitions or you can mount partitions using mount command...
    you can always write in FAT32 partitions... for linux formats... it depends on permissions.....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Although you're pretty much correct in 99.9% of cases richiefrich, it is worth mentioning that there is an edition of Pupply Linux that is burnt to a CD-RW.

I didnt know this. But I guess you must buy it like this or get it from them. I burn all my own liveCD's so I would never know this. But thank you for the enlightenment on that.. I will add to my notes.

Thank you again bigtomrodney.