Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So I'm attempting to install Gentoo on my system, and I was suggested to use Knoppix to compile and then build the Gentoo system from Knoppix. The problem is, at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Knoppix live CD with no internet connection

So I'm attempting to install Gentoo on my system, and I was suggested to use Knoppix to compile and then build the Gentoo system from Knoppix. The problem is, at residence at my university, I am connected via LAN, and when I try to open Firefox, I do not have a connection. I was suggested to see if my internet settings are set to DHCP etc, but I can't find where to do that in Knoppix. Please note that I'll need definate STEP BY STEP instructions as I am VERY new to Linux (I've had a brief stint with SuSE and a few other distros) but I feel like jumping into the deep end and trying out Gentoo.

So, with my LAN setup at residence at my university, where I have a connection on Windows but not my Knoppix Live CD, how can I get internet access on the Live CD for when I install Gentoo....?

search in the main bar, there's a lot of nice scripts to do mos common tasks in knoppix
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

You can also take a look here to configurate manually your network. http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/network.htm (knoppix is debian based)
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    I'll check that link out, thanks.

Linux User
    Hm.... I don't understand what to do. :P Can you give me step by step instructions or something?

Just Joined!

In the same boat

I won't give you much info but at least you know that I'm having the same problems. Tried six of seven Linux distros,none have internet. But Knoppix has given the most help, step by step direction command entries he says will help me. But still I have no internet in Linux. Beginning to think Linux doesn't allow internet access. Could perhaps have got it right this time but the commands were not recognized, Hmmm? In addition I got a list of cards to choose from, all of which were totally unknown to me. Just meaningless names. It told me I might alter my base internet or get a long long pause if I chose wrong, so I didn't choose any.

The only internet connection I have gotten has been VMPlayer and Browser Appliance, which does everything for you and you don't need to know even diddly. I even had one distro that said, and I quote roughly, "if you can't get online go to our homepage for help." Duh! Homepage is online, right?
    Hope we get some help, I'm quite eager to get Linux but not going to install anymore linux sys on my computer until the live CD gives me internet connect or I should say gives me some docs that tell me how.

Of course Linux supports networking! If not why there are a lot of Linux servers out there and why this page exist?! It's another thing if you are to silly to configure it.

"meaningless names" it's not a linux problem if you don't know what's inside your computer.

You can go to the homepage by using another computer Duh!

Almost all distros have a graphical way to configure your internet connection Duh!
    Linux User #425940

Just Joined!

This is as close as I can get to my question.

This also applies to the six or so distros I've tried. Whatever means you use to get to putting in the info asked for, DNS server, IP address, etc... there is one item keeping me from going online. In some it is called service name and I think it means the same thing in others, provider name. What's wrong? My adsl service has NO name. In WinXP you just enter stroke past it, enter user name and password and it's a go. Now I'm not saying WinXp is superior. Please let's not go to that discussion. I want to go Linux and am trying hard, working hard to do that. Is there a workaround for this. I live in China and my service provider is the Chinese Gov, so I don't think they're going to change this for me. I have to find a way around it. Please help. I'd appreciate it.

By the way could someone tell me how to enter a new thread? I just spent a half hour looking for some link.

Quote Originally Posted by GivePeaceAChance
    So I'm attempting to install Gentoo on my system, and I was suggested to use Knoppix to compile and then build the Gentoo system from Knoppix. The problem is, at residence at my university, I am connected via LAN, and when I try to open Firefox, I do not have a connection. I was suggested to see if my internet settings are set to DHCP etc, but I can't find where to do that in Knoppix. Please note that I'll need definate STEP BY STEP instructions as I am VERY new to Linux (I've had a brief stint with SuSE and a few other distros) but I feel like jumping into the deep end and trying out Gentoo.

So, with my LAN setup at residence at my university, where I have a connection on Windows but not my Knoppix Live CD, how can I get internet access on the Live CD for when I install Gentoo....?

Just Joined!

This is as close as I can get to my question.

This also applies to the six or so distros I've tried. Whatever means you use to get to putting in the info asked for installing internet, DNS server, IP address, etc... there is one item keeping me from going online. In some it is called service name and I think it means the same thing in others, provider name. What's wrong? My adsl service has NO name. In WinXP you just enter stroke past it, enter user name and password and it's a go. Now I'm not saying WinXp is superior. Please let's not go to that discussion. I want to go Linux and am trying hard, working hard to do that. Is there a workaround for this? I live in China and my service provider is the Chinese Gov, so I don't think they're going to change this for me. I have to find a way around it. Please help. I'd appreciate it.

By the way could someone tell me how to enter a new thread? I just spent a half hour looking for some link.

Quote Originally Posted by GivePeaceAChance

Just Joined!
    wait are you on a lan or ADSL?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast