Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just recieved Knoppix 5.0.1 on Dvd about a week ago. I put it in my dvd player and double clicked it and it said "Insert CD". So I figured ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Just got Knoppix, it only works when it wants to not when I want it to.

I just recieved Knoppix 5.0.1 on Dvd about a week ago. I put it in my dvd player and double clicked it and it said "Insert CD". So I figured that my dvd player probably wouldn't read it. So I restarted my computer to try to get it to work and it wouldn't work like that either. later that night my computer was in hybrid mode and it came up with a screen to start Linux. So, I started Knoppix, I looked around on it for half an hour or so but I wanted to check something on the Windows screen so I restarted my computer and did what I needed to do. Then, I restarted it again to try to get back on Knoppix and was unable to do so. So I restarted it numerous times and never could get it to come back up with the Linux menu. So I gave up on it for that day, and my daughters use the computer during the day and they restart it everytime they switch. The dvd was in there all day and it never did come up with it. So, later that night I restarted the computer and it came back up with it and it worked fine. I played around with it for a little while, even burnt a cd using the cd burner that it comes up with. The next day I got up and turned my computer on and could not get it to work again. It being this close to Halloween, I'm wondering, is my computer possessed? Or am I just missing something here? At this point I'm leaning towards possessed, please help!

The DVD is likely bad if the drive works with another dvd/cd. Have you tried downloading an image from the Knoppix website and using that?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Not to insult your intelligence, but do you have your bios set to boot from cd first? Dont know your system specs, but some bios will look at all drives for a boot image, some have to be told where to look first. And it could be like bryansmith said, a bad disk, i have several i ordered turn out to be bad, but you can check it. At the splash screen, from the boot prompt, type:
    knoppix^testdvd ( ^ denotes a space )
    this will test the disk for burn errors,and tell you if it finds any, or tell you everythings ok and continue trying to boot. Grab a cold beer and relax, it takes a while for the dvd version.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebubbles
    Not to insult your intelligence, but do you have your bios set to boot from cd first? Dont know your system specs, but some bios will look at all drives for a boot image, some have to be told where to look first. And it could be like bryansmith said, a bad disk, i have several i ordered turn out to be bad, but you can check it. At the splash screen, from the boot prompt, type:
    knoppix^testdvd ( ^ denotes a space )
    this will test the disk for burn errors,and tell you if it finds any, or tell you everythings ok and continue trying to boot. Grab a cold beer and relax, it takes a while for the dvd version.

Yeah, I made sure that my bios is booting from my cds first. I tried the knoppix ^testdvd I believe I am typing it in at the right time, right when it shows the gateway picture. Am I supposed to hit enter after I type that or just type it? I think it might be like bryansmith says even though it is a new dvd that I got from linuxonline.biz. I appreciate it.

If you are still trying to test the dvd, you have to type that at the prompt you get just before the kernel starts booting. You will see a knoppix splash and it should say something like "boot:" - that is where you type it. You have to hit enter after that.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    The splash screen we are referring to for knoppix 5, will look like a row of big copper pipes side by side on a black background. The prompt boot:_ is in the lower left corner of the screen. This will apper as bryansmith said right before it starts to boot, after the gateway logo.

Just Joined!
    I finally got it to come up and I saw the splash screen that you were referring to. I ran the test and everything checked out ok on the dvd, and then it came up with the Knoppix screen and was running fine. I played around on it for a little while and I had to restart my computer just to test whether or not it would come back up after being on there for 2 hours. Then it came up with Windows with the dvd in the tray and the bios set where they are supposed to be. Someone teach me how to fish lol.

Linux Newbie

Smile

On some DVD/CD drive you must press start/read/play button on CD/DVD drive after pressing the on/off button on the PC. Make sure you had press reject button after logout of knoppix.

If you want to boot from Knoppix, press eject button (before turning off PC). Turn off the PC. Put Knoppix CD/DVD on the tray, then turn on the PC. Press start/read/play button on the CD/DVD drive.