Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to copy from NTFS on SATA HD to FAT32 on IDE drive with Knoppix live. I'm having permission problems. Any Ideas about this? When I look at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry trouble copying from NTFS on SATA HD to FAT32 on IDE drive

I am trying to copy from NTFS on SATA HD to FAT32 on IDE drive with Knoppix live. I'm having permission problems. Any Ideas about this? When I look at the permissions everyone has edit and copy rights. I haven't been able to find a godd answer for thsi problem. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Make sure you mount the FAT32 partition with the umask=0 option.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Smile How do I do that?

Pardonnez moi, but I am not that skilled with Linux. could you explain how to do that.
    Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by kmbois
    Pardonnez moi, but I am not that skilled with Linux. could you explain how to do that.
    Sorry, the way you asked your question, I assumed you were using the
    Code:
    mount
    command to mount the drive.

The way it goes, you can verify how your drives are mounted, with :
    Code:
    mount
    which will list the option you are using right now on all partitions, included those NTFS and FAT32 ones.

A FAT32 partition will generally be mounted like that (you can type this in Konsole) :
    Code:
    mount -t vfat -o umask=0,iocharset=utf8 /dev/hda1 /mnt/fat_drive
    given /dev/hda1 is the location of your partition (which you can verify with fdisk -l) and /mnt/fat_drive is the mount point, which must be an empty directory.

Feel free to post back if that is not clear.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Angry Thanks, I am running into a problem with root access

I can't seem to find the password for this live CD. When I try to run those commands it returns the message "only root can do that".

Just Joined!

Smile Got the password set, thanks

will try the mounting and copying.

Quote Originally Posted by kmbois
    I can't seem to find the password for this live CD. When I try to run those commands it returns the message "only root can do that".
    There is no password by default, you can log as root like that :
    Code:
    su
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Root

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    You can also mount devices by right clicking the icon on the desktop, and from the menu, select>mount. , or by left clicking the icon. Knoppix mounts drives read only by default, youll have to change this. Right click the icon, and from the menu, select>properties. From the menu that pops up, select>permissions. Change all to "can read and write", and check "is executable". Next, click on >device: uncheck " read only" . click ok. Now go back and highlight the icon, and at the bottom of the box it should say> writeable:yes . Do this for each drive/partition , then you can click on the icons you want to work with , open them, and you can drag and drop, and select "copy here" from the menu. This is just one way to do it, if youre not familiar with the command line.

Just Joined!

Smile yes I discovered that.

Now that it is working it is amazing. I have been trying to recover this data for weeks. I was using SUSE linux from novell and it would take days to copy 30 pics. With Knoppix it is done in 15min.

Just Joined!
    Glad you got it working for you. Puppy linux, is another good live distro for this kind of thing, and just to have a portable os to take with you. Its fairly small, around 70mb, depending on the version, has good hardware detection, and loads into ram, so once it boots up, you can take the cd/dvd out and free up your drive for copying files, or whatever. You can also save sessions back to the disk, something Knoppix was supposed to do originally, but i cant figure out how, and havent found anybody that has. You can load Knoppix into ram also, but it takes almost a gig of ram. This is a pretty neat little os, i dont know how they pack so much stuff into such a small package.lol Have a look here for download, and docs:
    http://www.puppyos.com/