Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All - I am not a techincal person at all - just learned things as I wnet along. Hence the gaps in my knowledge! I have a dead (WinXP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

username and password when networking with windows

Hi All - I am not a techincal person at all - just learned things as I wnet along. Hence the gaps in my knowledge!

I have a dead (WinXP Home) laptop, Knoppix cd runs fine on the laptop and I can see my files - phew!. I have tried to network with my WinXP Pro pc but here's the snag. I keep getting asked for user name and password to access the Windows pc from the knpppix/WinXP. I have tried entering the user name and password associated with the user account on the pc but no luck. I've in fact tried all combinations of my usrnames and passwords I can think of. I am sure I have not used an unusual combination and subsequently forgotten it! I have used every valid combination I can think of but no luck.

The Knoppox laptop can see the pc when I connect up in smb://etc etc, and if I disconnect the pc it disappears out of the samba shares window. Both machines can ping the other, so I know they can see each other. Therefore I must have done something wrong, or omitted to do something. Any ideas?

By the way - I can't get the WinXP Pro pc to see the knoppix-running laptop at all - is this normal? After all the knoppix machine isn't running a windows network so I wouldn't be suprised if this were the case. However, since the WinXP Pro pc can oping the laptop, I wondered if it might be possible to ftp files - what's the protocol for this?

many thanks in advance,

fatcharlieUK

Linux Newbie
    Do you have shares setup on the winXP machine that you are trying to access?

Have you tried not entering anything for a username/password?

You may want to create a account on the windows XP box for the username you are using on the linux box - sometimes that helps.

Just Joined!
    thanks I'll give it a try!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatcharlie
    By the way - I can't get the WinXP Pro pc to see the knoppix-running laptop at all - is this normal?
    try to edit /etc/smb.conf (or /etc/samba/smb.conf). There is a section that you can join your linux box in a windows networking group. and a section to define sharing method (share, user...) and a section to define shares.

try to change sharing method to share. save your file and restart samba

Code:
    smb restart
    i hope this would help

Just Joined!
    Hi Guys,

thanks again for the help. In reverse order:

The knoppix system doesn't want to allow me to change the smb.conf file - I am runnig off the cd (can't do an install, not enough space).

I have tried creating a username and password on the Windows box the same as the Linux box, tried entering nothing and have double-checked that I have set up file and printer sharing on the windows box (in fact, have shared the whole of C: drive). Still no joy.

The Windows box doesn't want to let the Linux box talk to it! Frustrating - I still can ping either way and the Linux box still sees the windows box in its samba shares.

Any more ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Fatcharlie.

Just Joined!
    OK, I have used the knoppix toram cheat to get knoppix onto my Windoze box. I hoped that if both machines were running knppix they'd network ok.

STILL no joy - they can ping each other but when I try to set up a network foleder it keeps sayin it can't connect and for me to check my settings - can anyone tell me how to network two knoppix machines?

Thanks,

Fatcharlie.