Find the answer to your Linux question:
( Real question abt Knoppix is below here is just a brief on my situation) Ok so my problem started when I installed Fedora (6) on my system that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

moreQtparted questions Remove nix partitions4Win install

( Real question abt Knoppix is below here is just a brief on my situation)

Ok so my problem started when I installed Fedora (6) on my system that I just built. Everything went alright for the install but I encountered a problem when my video card (Geforce 8800GTX) wasnt recognized so I got a black screen when trying to run the gui...

soOoo.. since i need to be able to use this system ASAP for school I figured Id just install windows BUT when I pop in my xp cd it says "Checking Hardware..." and then hangs on a black screen right after. I know this is not related to the problem with Fedora but rather the linux partitions and Grub boot loader as suggested here
    (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ck-please.html)

(KNOPPIX QUESTION)
    So as suggested in the last reply by "Vitalka" in the post listed above, I think I need to

QUOTE=vitalka]I got rid off Linux partitions using Knoppix and afte that Windows CD booted up.

No lose here, I was going to reinstall FC4 after I install windows in the first place.
    [/QUOTE]

*****SO HOW do I go about doing that?? just wanted a quick rundown on what I need to do/How I need to partition my drive so that I can get windows up and running ( will have to mess linux at a later date when I have time ) Qtparted seems pretty straight forward but i dont wanna fu#* anything up and I want to make sure I do it right so I can get this machine running..

ANY HELP is greatly appreciated THANKS!

Linux Newbie

Smile

Clean/re-format your hard drive using Paragon, Acronis or other disk manager.

Use Windows XP recovery console to fix boot record and mbr (main boot record).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Next time install fedora using text mode. After everything is OK, install Nvidia driver for X-Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by xtract designs
    *****SO HOW do I go about doing that?? just wanted a quick rundown on what I need to do/How I need to partition my drive so that I can get windows up and running ( will have to mess linux at a later date when I have time ) Qtparted seems pretty straight forward but i dont wanna fu#* anything up and I want to make sure I do it right so I can get this machine running..
    boot up from Fedora installation CD/DVD and execute this code at boot: prompt
    Code:
    linux rescue
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=521 count=1
    this code will wipe out partition table and GRUB...... Windows installation CD will work after executing this code.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First