Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im a complete noob when it comes to linux, so I wanted to try it without installing it on one of my drives since I knew it would mess up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't find harddrive in XP

Im a complete noob when it comes to linux, so I wanted to try it without installing it on one of my drives since I knew it would mess up my MBR. So, I downloaded knoppix and booted, looked around a bit, and then I tried to use
    Code:
    /mount hd1f
    or whatever the name of the drive was. Knoppix answered by saying that it couldnt detect the filesystem, or something like that (NTFS, so I guess it was kinda stupid to try and mount in the first place)

anyway, after that, i shutdown knoppix and booted with XP as usual, and now I cant see the drive. I can see it in BIOS so theres nothing wrong there. So, my question is, how can I find my drive again without messing up the data it stores?

Quote Originally Posted by sunriser
    Im a complete noob when it comes to linux, so I wanted to try it without installing it on one of my drives since I knew it would mess up my MBR. So, I downloaded knoppix and booted, looked around a bit, and then I tried to use
    Code:
    /mount hd1f
    or whatever the name of the drive was. Knoppix answered by saying that it couldnt detect the filesystem, or something like that (NTFS, so I guess it was kinda stupid to try and mount in the first place)
    In Knoppix, you can mount NTFS drivers like that :
    Code:
    mount -t ntfs -o user,umask=0222,nls=utf8 /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    Given /dev/hda1 is your windows partition (the output of fdisk -l will tell you) and /mnt/windows is the mount point, which must be an existing empty directory.

There are hundreds of threads regarding this exact same question, so if you want more details, search the forum.

anyway, after that, i shutdown knoppix and booted with XP as usual, and now I cant see the drive. I can see it in BIOS so theres nothing wrong there. So, my question is, how can I find my drive again without messing up the data it stores?
    What do you mean exactly ? Can you boot into Windows ? Or you can't ? Did you used Knoppix as a LiveCD or you installed it ?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I used knoppix as a live cd. the drive I tried to mount was not the drive that XP runs on, so yes, I can boot into windows, but I cant find that one particular drive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    but I cant find that one particular drive.
    It just disappeared like that after using Knoppix ?

This looks more like a Windows question then.

Well, in Windows, you can go in Manage My Computer (right click on My Computer and choose Manage) and then take a look at the disk management section to see if your drive is there.

I haven't used Windows in a while, so that's about all that I can say about this issue.

Are you able to see the drive in Knoppix, with :
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    (as root) ?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    actually no, I can find all my disks with fdisk but not that one, wonder what could have happend

also, my disks are dynamic, which means that I have volumes and not partitions. I currently have four physical discs in my computer, but some of the volumes stretch from one disk to another, but the one im having problems with only had one volume.

And no, the disk isnt in disk management either

Are your volumes managed by the BIOS, an add-on controller,, third party software or by windows? Is it a RAID system or what? These are the questions that will lead people
    closer to an answer.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen
    Are your volumes managed by the BIOS, an add-on controller,, third party software or by windows? Is it a RAID system or what? These are the questions that will lead people
    closer to an answer.
    they are managed by windows, as far as I know anyway. They are connected to the computer via a RAID controller (i think thats what its called anyway) but they are not mirrors of each other or anything like that. They are just normal disks.

(sorry for bad language, my english isnt all that good)