Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there, I am using Knoppix 3.8.2 on an HP Compaq nx9420 laptop and for the love of mine I cannot connect to the internet. I tried both the cable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connecting to the Internet

Hello there,

I am using Knoppix 3.8.2 on an HP Compaq nx9420 laptop and for the love of mine I cannot connect to the internet. I tried both the cable (directly to my cable modem) and wireless (using a linksys router).

When I tried through cable, I configured the network card with the config program but whenever I tried to open a site it just says "looking up X..." and stays there.

For wireless, I couldn't even configure it, as it tells my it didn't detect any wireless cards (yes, my wireless is enabled).

My 3 network adapters are:
    1394 Net Adapter
    Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

I didn't try the driver wrapper for wireless card as I can't locate the appropriate *.inf file (I looked up the installed windows drivers for the Intel wireless card and there wasn't any *.inf file).

Lastly, my internet is Broadband (Cable modem) through Cox.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

I didn't try the driver wrapper for wireless card as I can't locate the appropriate *.inf file (I looked up the installed windows drivers for the Intel wireless card and there wasn't any *.inf file).
    This card is very much Linux friendly, as Intel ships driver for this card :
    http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/

So no need to use NDISWRAPPER.

Unfortunately I very much doubt that you'll get to work in Knoppix 3.8.2, which is way to old to properly support wireless.

For example, this card works out-of-the-box in Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy), which is perhaps the one you should try.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Newbie

Smile

Can you test the latest version of Knoppix?

The ethernet chipset is BCM5753M.

Can you try "modprobe bcm5700" or "modprobe tg3"?

What is the output of lsmod?

Is your cable modem from motorola?

http://www.linux.com/howtos/Motorola...em/index.shtml

Can you turn off PC & Cable modem, disconnect the cable modem from the cable TV, turn all back on and test cable modem internal diagnostic?

There is an internal diagnostic for Motorola modems at address:
    http://192.168.100.1

If everything is OK, try "pump" "dhcpcd" or "dhclient" command. What is the output of "ifconfig" command?

If everything is OK, try "pump" "dhcpcd" or "dhclient" command. What is the output of "ifconfig" command?
    none of these commands worked for me.
    But I did get it working by switching pump to the Wireless card instead of the Ethernet card
    ps ax | grep pump
    4581 ? Ss 0:00 pump -i eth0
    kill 4851
    pump -i ath0
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.