Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Knoppix from CD and it boots fine, but i can't seem to get it to recognise my router, with a cable or wirelessly. Can anyone give me any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help please

I'm running Knoppix from CD and it boots fine, but i can't seem to get it to recognise my router, with a cable or wirelessly.

Can anyone give me any pointers how to get the Mozilla browser working.
    I'm a complete LINUX newbie. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, please direct me to any relevant threads.

Thanks.

Are you using DHCP? or a static IP address?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help.

Using a static IP at the moment. I've sorted the LAN connection so I can now use the web browser. Can't get the wireless connection sorted though, it's not recognising my adaptor. It's a Dell 1450 USB adaptor, and using an Auditor Security Collection LiveCD.

Thanks again

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    allauthorsareequal,
    I am referencing the Ask Klaus column in a recent issue if Linux Magazine in which Mr. Knopper said to use iwconfig from konsole as root.

For example, my setup is DHCP and I don't have WEP/WPA on the router I wish to connect to so I typed "iwconfig eth0 Wolfton" and then hit enter. Then I typed "pump -i eth0" to release/renew my IP address.

Now, if you are useing Knoppix 5 or 5.1, there may be no hope for you. I have heard the 4 is better for wireless. On my particular laptop, there is a problem with the latest Knoppix versions and DHCP backgrounding. I Love Knoppix but the only way for me to boot is with the nodhcp option and I can't figure out how to connect even the LAN. (Ha, Ha. Okay all I need to do is plug it in, right? SHEESH!) On my laptop, Knoppix 5, 5.01, and 5.10 won't connect, period.

Also, if the device isn't recognized, you may wish to try a handy little tool called ndiswrapper. Find the Windows driver for your device (identify your wireless chipset and see if you can find the driver for it), or download the Windows driver from either the vendor's website or www.driverguide.com and then unarchive the self extracting intaller. I used WinRAR and saved the correct .inf file on my Windows desktop and then copied it over to the Knoppix desktop o nthe next boot. Then I typed (as root) "ndiswrapper /home/knoppix/Desktop/Rt2500.inf" and it installed my wireless card.

I hope that this is helpful.

Just Joined!
    thanks a lot for your help,

i've managed to sort this problem out now.