Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having a problem booting Knoppix, or any distro for that matter. I'm sure the CDs i am using are ok, because i have used them on various other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

booting linux

I am having a problem booting Knoppix, or any distro for that matter. I'm sure the CDs i am using are ok, because i have used them on various other machines. When the CD boots, the Knoppix image does not come up on the menu where you choose boot options. After you hit enter, the booting stops at 'looking for CD on /dev/hdb'. Every other CD I try gives me a similar error, other than a Windows CD. Im not sure if I should change BIOS settings, or what, but Ive searched the subject on Google, and most of the people with the problem had a ASUS mobo (i couldn't find a solution), so im assuming its the BIOS settings that are keeping the CDs from seeing themselves. Any help would be appreciated.

hi metguru,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

how old your MotherBoard is? i think you have to Upgrade BIOS.
    note down your MoBo's Serial No. and check ASUS site for available BIOS upgrades for your MoBo.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I bought the mobo about a week and a half ago, built the computer myself. I tried to update at the website, but the link to the BIOS gave me a 404 error.

[edit]Its a P5LD2, if you wanted to know. Does it matter if I download the Global or Europe one (I'm from the US, and that link doesn't work)? Is the only difference the language? (I don't want to screw anything up accidentally) And if i did download one of those, which should i download?