Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm using knoppix 5.1 live CD to boot. now i tried to boot from KNOPPIX.ISO saved on hda1(ntfs) with the command bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNOPPIXX.iso but it showed an error "iso image didin't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem in booting knoppix from ISO IMAGE

i'm using knoppix 5.1 live CD to boot.
    now i tried to boot from KNOPPIX.ISO saved on hda1(ntfs) with the command
    bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNOPPIXX.iso
    but it showed an error "iso image didin't found".

plz tell me the whole procedure to get rid of this problem.

Linux Newbie
    This is strange

(1) Knoppix doesn't write on ntfs partition automatically. How can it save an iso image on a ntfs partition?

(2) If an iso file can be booted from a ntfs partition, presumably by a Windows then the Windows has to be killed off first (M$ wouldn't like that) and a mechanism must exist to mount the iso image but there isn't one. What operating system are you using to boot an iso image?

(3) Normally the iso image is booted by the standard CD boot loader "isolinux" which will not boot from a hard disk. Users booting an iso image has to use an alternative boot loader.

(4) There isn't a procedure to get rid of a problem that doesn't exist. If the file isn't there what do you want to get rid of?

Just Joined!
    i'm using Win xp. first i also tried through FAT but it doesn't...
    the new knoppix live CD released in JAN07 support booting frm ISO image frm HDD..
    i have first saved the image on hdd, then started to boot that image through console using live CD but failed.
    the problem do exist...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    OK I think I understand where you are coming from.

Basically you have downloaded an iso image stored in a ntfs partition and you are trying to boot it up with a Knoppix Live CD.

If this is the case what is stopping you from installing Knoppix directly from the CD?

For being a Live CD Knoppix can hand down the root privilege to you without demanding the root password if you just type
    Code:
    su
    knoppix-installer
    I could be wrong but the way you go about it requires kernel to read a ntfs partition to get the iso image out as both Grub and Lilo do not support it and can't read it. Therefore it may be designed to have the iso image available in an Ext2/3 partition and not a ntfs partition.

Just Joined!
    Here is a simple way to have knoppix on your hd without dual booting, or disturbing your mbr. This is similar to what youre trying, except it requires creating a partition on your hd, and you wont be actually booting from an iso file. If youre comfortable partitiong your hd, give this a try. Create a fat32 partition in your free space(at the end). I prefer gparted for this, but use whichever tool you like. Then reboot to the knoppix cd, at the boot prompt, type:
    knoppix tohd=/dev/hdax (where x is the number for the new partition)
    When it is finished copying the files, it should continue to boot from the hd partition. Shut down, and reboot to the knoppix cd, at the boot prompt, type:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/hdax
    This will force it to boot from the hd partition, and you can take the cd out and use the drive for other purposes. This method will also work with flash drives(at least 1g) , and is handy for older machines that dont support booting from usb devices. Knoppix runs very fast from a flash drive.
    Anytime you fool around with dual booting/partitioning...ect, always back up your windows partition. A little mistake can either wipe out your windows stuff. or make it inaccessible without doing some repair work.

Just Joined!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by rahulseth01
    i'm using knoppix 5.1 live CD to boot.
    now i tried to boot from KNOPPIX.ISO saved on hda1(ntfs) with the command
    bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNOPPIXX.iso
    but it showed an error "iso image didin't found".

plz tell me the whole procedure to get rid of this problem.
    should it not be "bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNOPPIX.iso" instead of "bootfrom=/dev/hda1/KNOPPIXX.iso" (Knoppix was mispelled)?