Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi there eveyone, i recently purchased a live cd with dsl3.2 on it and have successfully installed it on an old hd.now here is the problem- the package that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB Speedtouch, Knoppix

hi there eveyone,
    i recently purchased a live cd with dsl3.2 on it and have successfully installed it on an old hd.now here is the problem- the package that the disc came in says that the os will transform into a debian os when installed to a hd
    but the os seems to be knoppix on the cd and when it boots there are references to knoppix.i am completely new to the world of linux but hope to gradually get to grips with it like i did with "the other os"!
    my main question is how can i get my new linux os connected to the internet via my existing broadband account (talktalk)and speed touch 330 usb modem.
    can i install the drivers for the modem from the talktalk cd rom-and if yes how do i do it?
    apologies for being so unenlightened!
    but if you help me then it means i can help someone else in the future.
    thank you.
    stonefish.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish
    hi there eveyone,
    i recently purchased a live cd with dsl3.2 on it and have successfully installed it on an old hd.now here is the problem- the package that the disc came in says that the os will transform into a debian os when installed to a hd
    but the os seems to be knoppix on the cd and when it boots there are references to knoppix.
    Don't be alarmed. Knoppix is just a special version of Debian. You'll find that a lot of Linux distributions are based on larger projects. Most fall into the following categories:

• Those based on Debian
    • Those based on Redhat (or Fedora Core)
    • Those based on Slackware
    • Those based on Gentoo

my main question is how can i get my new linux os connected to the internet via my existing broadband account (talktalk)and speed touch 330 usb modem.

can i install the drivers for the modem from the talktalk cd rom-and if yes how do i do it?
    No, you won't be able to just install the modem drivers off the CD, probably because the drivers on the CD are for Microsoft Windows. Does your computer connect to the modem using an ethernet plug or USB? If it's ethernet you may not have to install any drivers at all. The SpeedTouch USB is a popular topic on the forums. You might do a search and see if someone else has instructions on how to get it set up.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

speedtouch usb setup

thank you for your reply.
    i connect via usb,so i will have a good search through the forum tonight and
    see what i can find!
    it's just like learning to walk all over again- one step at a time!!!!!!!
    thanks for your time.
    stonefish...