Find the answer to your Linux question:
Originally Posted by BallisticPain I never got it figured out that evening, but yesterday I seeked help from a few friends. I got the issue resolved. I did have to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticPain
    I never got it figured out that evening, but yesterday I seeked help from a few friends. I got the issue resolved.

I did have to manually mount the drives as root, and then I had rw access to the drive.

I appreciate the response!
    JS
    i manually mounted as root and also removed the read only permission on it and on the desktop icon it showed writable.but when i copy something into it, it still says "Access Denied" could not write to media??????? why??????

Just Joined!
    I am sorry, but I haven't messed with Linux in quite some time. =/ I haven't had a system I could put it on. I also do not remember what I did at the time to get it to work. I should have posted my steps. I am sorry that I didn't.

JS

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Ali Marican
    i manually mounted as root and also removed the read only permission on it and on the desktop icon it showed writable.but when i copy something into it, it still says "Access Denied" could not write to media??????? why??????

How did u mount it as root? May well be that mounting it as root only allowed root rw access to the drive.

Try mounting it and then check the output of the command "mount" on it's own, and paste the relevent output here.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    How did u mount it as root? May well be that mounting it as root only allowed root rw access to the drive.

Try mounting it and then check the output of the command "mount" on it's own, and paste the relevent output here.
    Well i open a terminal window and login as root by su and enter password.Then i key in as follows:
    mount /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
    the command on its own gives the following after i key-in the above:

/dev/sda6 on / type reiserfs (rw)
    /proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
    /dev/pts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/sdb1 type vfat (rw)

when i right click on the drive on the desktop it shows the following permissions:
    owner:read/write
    group:read
    others:read
    under ownership:
    user:Mohamed
    group:Root

and it says Read Only.....when i un-check read-only, the icon on desktop says writable.When i copy and paste a file it says:Acess denied, could not write to media/sdbi/filename

i have to everytime after plugging in the device.....i have to navigate in Konqueror to safely remove device and plug-in again for it to work.....
    if i do it this way,the problem is i can't umount or remove safely anymore.This is the error message i receive:

Unfortunately, the device system:/media/sdb1 (/dev/sdb1) named 'MD ALI' and currently mounted at /media/MD ALI could not be unmounted. The following error was returned by umount command:
    umount: /media/MD ALI is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
    so naturally i log-in as root in konsole to umount it manually,i get:
    root@ali:/home/mohamed# umount /media/sdb1
    umount: /media/sdb1: not mounted

please help