Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am new to Linux and thought to explore by first trying Knoppix live CD. I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 laptop with windows XP professional installed, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb NTFS disk not detected

Hi All,

I am new to Linux and thought to explore by first trying Knoppix live CD. I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 laptop with windows XP professional installed, has a single partition. When I boot with Live CD, I can not see my NTFS disk. fdisk -l shows /dev/hda1 to be the only one listed and filesystem is shown to be unknown instead of HPFS/NTFS. As a result, I can not mount this drive and hence not able to use it. If I boot back in XP, drive shows up as NTFS (verified via right clicking drive letter, properties as also under computer management / disk management). This machine has a small (20GB) disk and I have compressed it to gain some space. But this should not make it an unknown filesystem to Knoppix.

I am using latest version 5.11 of Knoppix Live CD. Tried with another machine running XP home with NTFS and the drive in that computer is detected correct.

Will appreciate any help.

Thanks

Just Joined!

NTFS disk not detected

Further to my post below, I have uncompressed the drive, but I still get the same unknown filesystem via fdisk -l and I am still not able to detect this NTFS drive when booted thru Live CD.

Please help.

Just Joined!

RE: NTFS disk not detected

What you want to look for is ntfsprogs or ntfs-3g. Both of these are designed to allow Knoppix to read/write to an ntfs partition.

Linux NTFS Download

The link listed contains the download links for the NTFS drivers for linux along with links to explain how to install the ntfs drivers listed above

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Post Коносевич

Все о голубом Коносевиче, Коне и Освевиче.
    в
    Коносевич
    для
    Эх, Коносевич, в