Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I'm just new here so bear with me. I have been trying for ages to burn a CD with either Knoppix or mepis by downloading from the net, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face I want to create a burn from an .iso file but every one I do turns into a coaster!

Hi all, I'm just new here so bear with me.

I have been trying for ages to burn a CD with either Knoppix or mepis by downloading from the net, i have a few files of each. I don''t even know what i should look for!
    I prefer Knoppix ( I have a borrowed book with the DVD inside (Knoppix for dummies-of course!) That works! but now I want the latest version as well as I like Knoppix for the immense amount of software bundled with the disk-games for my children actually!

can anyone help? I am supposed to be really UNIX savvy but I'm on territory I have no idea about

Ps my understanding is from a UNIX machine operator point of view.

HELP!

regards,
    Richard.

Hi Xrayman,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

Select 'Burn Image to Disk' option in your CD Burner software. .iso images are bootable by default. dont select 'create bootable disk' option.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks-ill give you some more info though. I use sonic record now.

I hope I don't sound like an idiot-I was told that if I "explore" the disk and see only xxxxx.iso it is no good-does that sound right? does it mean that the .iso has not "extracted" into files etc?

also I have used Burn4Free selected "burn iso" and I still cannot "see" any files apart from xxxx.iso

P.s. what's the deal with .md5 files? sorry im lost!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrayman
    I hope I don't sound like an idiot-I was told that if I "explore" the disk and see only xxxxx.iso it is no good-does that sound right? does it mean that the .iso has not "extracted" into files etc?
    That's all good. The .iso file is what you need. You don't extract, you just burn, as devils_casper said.

also I have used Burn4Free selected "burn iso" and I still cannot "see" any files apart from xxxx.iso
    That's perfect, just choose the .iso file and it will burn it to a disc.

P.s. what's the deal with .md5 files? sorry im lost!
    .md5 files (md5sums) are used to verify the integrity of the .iso file you download. You can google a bit for more about that (or search the forums, as it is a very common question).

Perhaps you will find more in depth information here (it is for Ubuntu, but the process is the same regardless of the distro you want to burn):
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

much thanks

Hey Devils and Anti..

thanks for the speedy responses yes I actually was aware of the purpose for the md5 (a kind of checksum validation file??) I just did not know how to "use" it.

thanks again, i will try the burned disk tonight on the 'puter and fingers crossed, it will work!

Do any of you know if I can create a disk-distro of all the good open source programs that I like atttached/packaged into a knoppix distro? and make it available as my Xrayman version>? I know it sounds wanky, but Im not up with the actual "reason" for developing a distro-perhaps I need to do some actual programming/script writing?

I have also seen this 'bittorrent' business, can I download without this?

you can remaster Knoppix CD to include/remove packages from it.
    could you explain a bit more? i am not getting your question.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hey Xrayman
    If after you burn your disk and open it/explore it, and you only see one large file that says xxxxx.iso, or knoppix.iso, it wasnt burned properly as an iso image, it merely copied the iso file to the cd, and youve created another coaster for your collection. When properly burned, when you open it, it will have multiple files and folders. For example, Knoppix 5 will have 7 folders: Boot/Knoppix/Autorun/Autorun.bat/Autorun.inf/cdrom.ico/ , and index.html
    Im not familiar with the burning software youre using, but alot of them will burn an iso image. I use DVD Decrypter, available here and other places:
    http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/
    I also use Nero, but DVD Decrypter is small and easy to use for this purpose. Bittorrent is a P2P file sharing protocol that alot of people use, but you dont have to use it.

Just Joined!
    Sonic doesn't have a Burn image feature. I had to order cds from the Ubuntu website (they are free) and install those. Then, it comes with an image burner. Don't use sonic, it'll just mess up the cd.

You can also use a direct link to download, a torrent can be better because you don't create load on the servers and the file is automatically checked for integrity without the need of md5

If you still have problems burning ISO images, try Nero or CDBurnerXP, they burn ISOs just fine
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Go with Infra Recorder. It's open source, free, and works great.
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast