Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You guys.....you need to know which chipset your card uses before you can do anything, open a terminal window after booting the livecd and type this command Code: sudo lspci ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You guys.....you need to know which chipset your card uses before you can do anything, open a terminal window after booting the livecd and type this command
    Code:
    sudo lspci
    It will probably be near the bottom of the output, but you need to look for your cards chipset.
    This is what mine looks like
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 GMCH [Graphics Memory Controller Hub] (rev 03)
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801AA IDE (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA USB (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801AA SMBus (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio (rev 02)
    01:06.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    01:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
    01:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
    The Realtek is an Ethernet card, while the Atheros is my Wireless card. Post your output back here if you need more help identifying the chipset.
    BTW, there is a ton of help here on these forums, but I think folks are getting tired of helping people with their problems that have already been answered in other posts.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    You guys.....you need to know which chipset your card uses before you can do anything, open a terminal window after booting the livecd and type this command
    Code:
    sudo lspci
    It will probably be near the bottom of the output, but you need to look for your cards chipset.
    This is what mine looks like

The Realtek is an Ethernet card, while the Atheros is my Wireless card. Post your output back here if you need more help identifying the chipset.
    BTW, there is a ton of help here on these forums, but I think folks are getting tired of helping people with their problems that have already been answered in other posts.
    Thank you. I will try this when time permits.

I understand that people are tired of answering these questions, as I see the same problems on other forums. However, generating a friendly forum attitude is, imho, more important. When I find newbs on other forums asking questions that have already been answered, I simply point them to the thread in question and welcome them to the forum. A little friendly encouragement goes a long way. They were once newbs too!

Much appreciated!

Just Joined!

Help for racknrail

Greetings from Guelph. I am far from being a Linux expert (understatement) but I do know that Knoppix and its derivative Kanotix have no problems configuring a wire-based Ethernet card. I have done so several times. Wireless cards, however, seem to generally be a bit tricky on many distros, not just Knoppix. I think your best bet would be to search Google with the terms "wireless Ethernet configuration in Linux." If you have problems let me know and i will try to help search.
    I have always found Linux forums excellent for friendly help and I wouldn't want to see you turned off of what I and many see as the greatest operating system!
    Cheers!

P.S. I dual boot Kanotix and PCLinuxOS.

Just Joined!

Unhappy Can anyone help me to make my internet connection on my knoppix

Please Help
    thank you !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2