Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I had opensus10.1 before but it never worked properly so I thought Knoppix could only improve (I like the beryl desktop too) but it completely ignored my old partitions and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I had opensus10.1 before but it never worked properly so I thought Knoppix could only improve (I like the beryl desktop too) but it completely ignored my old partitions and didn't give me the option of having home on a separate partition.
    the original fstab file doesn't mention /home at all.. it's just a directory under / (root).
    Disappointed! I've never had a distro that didn't ask about mount points during install before.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRoot
    Try positioning all '/dev/hda*' lines above '/proc' (with '/dev/hda2').

(To a certain degree, the order of the lines is significant.)
    as i mentioned earlier, /dev/hda3 partition is created by installer only and there is no need to re-mount it OR change any option in /etc/fstab file.
    am i missing something?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by ironduke
    the original fstab file doesn't mention /home at all.. it's just a directory under / (root).
    but according to /etc/fstab file, /dev/sda3 line is added by Knoppix installer only and you confirmed that in post #4.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironduke
    yeah I edited /etc/fstab earlier but it still does not come up as /home automatically. Interestingly the line marked:

# Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda3 /home ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

was not what I added myself
    EDIT:

edit /etc/fstab file and restore /dev/hda3 line to original. reboot machine and execute 'df -h' command. post output here.
    Last edited by devils casper; 04-28-2007 at 09:51 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    sorry casper.. being a bit reactionary I didn't record what fstab said before so I'm going to have to start again.
    it doesn't matter. it's a new pc so there wasn't anything in /home that I can't replace easily. I just want a separate partition for /home (because that's meant to be a good thing) but knoppix-installer doesn't give me that option.

All distros give Expert Partitioning option including Knoppix. did you try to edit /etc/fstab file?
    line should be like this
    Code:
    /dev/hda3 /home ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    execute 'df -h' command after reboot. if it lists /dev/hda3 as /home, no need to re-install.

yeah I tried that and it is as you say but I can't start X. Too hard!
    Thanks guys but I really am not that much of an expert with linux. Why do I need to be? Install it and it goes.
    I want this system to run my model railway that's all. I'm quite determined to use linux (I know linux. I dun a course an everyfing) but I just need a nice neat distro to come along and do what i want with no fuss. Back to Fedora, looks like.

in that case, try latest version of Ubuntu, Feisty Fawn. its very user friendly, most of hardware works out of box and easy to manage.

well that sounds.. er.... feisty.

I 'll keep an eye out for it :^)

update for those who are interested..
    Shortly after my final reply last night I broke linux so I gave up and went to bed.

I think knoppix doesn't work very well from the hard disk. I managed to change the mount point to home (by editing fstab) but then I couldn't get X to start.. it refused to write to the partition.. so I gave up and went to bed. They did say it would be unstable in the instructions. It's annoying that you can't use X as root. root shell and other things requiring root access (like changing desktops or installing software) stopped working.

thanks for all of your help :^)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2